8. Turning Tables

Chapter 8 - Turning Tables

   For the rest of the week, things were sort of good between Alex and I. Especially at school although we passed notes instead of talking. And I still found myself sitting alone during lunch. There was a gut feeling that maybe I should sit next to Alex but he was with his friends. Didn’t guys act differently when they were around with their guy friends? I swear I read that somewhere, this was all so confusing.

   It was closing to be the weekend and I was isolated here at my table, left to my thoughts. I found myself smiling like fool now half the time. It must be Alex's doing. Believe me if it wasn't for Alex, I would still look like I want to kill someone for being in school. 

    I lazily picked at my food with my fork, wishing to be at a different table. Too bad I just didn’t have the guts. Besides, Alex seemed to be in a bad mood today. Seemingly the worse I had seen him in school but nothing compared to the day we went out for breakfast that still left me to wonder how exactly Alex knew them. And yet here I thought Alex was the only man on this planet who should get 'TROUBLE' tattooed on his forehead.

    I lifted my head up from my food and got a nasty glare from Jennifer, who had been trying to get at it with Alex this whole week but was clearly failing. Ever since Tuesday when Mr. James said something witty to the whole class about the spotting of Alex and me on Sunday, the entire senior class was gossiping about it. 

When I say word gets around in this school easily, it does. Literally.

   Tuesday was a normal day until of course the last period of the day. I was sitting in my normal seat along with Alex. Mr. James goes over a few things and what he expects out of us for an assignment that is due soon. Alex passed a note to me, making me look down at the letter under the desk, with a big 'ole grin.

    "Hey love birds in the back," Mr. James snorted with a laugh. This put the whole class' attention on us, making me want to run out of the room as fast as I could. But that wasn't practical. "Yeah that's right, I saw you two Sunday." He chuckled.

   Just like any middle school class that freaks out when someone is called to the office, the 'woos' have risen from its grave.

   I sunk deep into my seat, hiding my face with my binder out of complete utter embarrassment and shyness. I looked briefly at Alex who had his hands coiled into fists to his side. He was already grumpy enough today, this just had made everything downright worse.

  Which now left me to where I sat on this Friday, I was in the last period of the day. Lunch was an hour ago. Alex simply looked like he had a lot on his mind. I wished I knew what I could do but I was hopeless with all the unknown things that came to my way. I wished I knew what was bothering Alex today. His grumpiness started yesterday and today it was horrid. 

   I finished my work fifteen minutes before the bell. I wrote a small note and passed it to Alex, his face changed into a more serious expression. I was in distraught at what could be bothering Alex. Was it me, perhaps?

   He crumbled the note with an unbroken poker-face. Something snapped in me as the noise of the crumbling paper comes through my ears. I soon later found out it was my heart and it happens when you adore someone.

   I no longer wanted to adore anyone.

   It was finally time to leave and I was carelessly roaming the empty halls. My brother had texted me that he was going to be late to pick me up. 

  In one quick motion, I bumped into someone as I stared down at the floor. It was ironic who I bumped into once I got the courage to see who it was.