Chapter 3 (Edited)

Chapter 3

Henry awoke in a nice warm bed, mind fuzzy, the strongest thought was where to find the nice lady who had helped him last night. He pulled the covers off and his footies covered feet hit the ground. Looking around he found NeNe who had fallen during the night. Picking up the stuffy he cuddled it and moved out of the room. He walked into the living room where he found Miss Ma sleeping on the couch. She was curled up one arm holding onto a cushion, her hair was still pulled up in a messy bun but some soft brown curls were framing her face. He giggled to himself as he sat on his knees by her face his hand involuntarily reaching out to tug on one of the strands.

Marne felt something tugging on her hair, it wasn't a hard tug, but it was enough to bring her out of her slumber. Before she could open her eyes, she heard a deep giggle coming from very close to her face before another strand was tugged. Stilling her immediate reaction to want to pull away from the intrusion of space she instead kept her eyes closed. Humming she whispered, "Morning Pumpkin, how are you this morning?" she waited another moment before opening her eyes. Wide blue eyes stared at her his mouth parted in an ohh "what's the matter honey?" it took but a moment for his face to break into a wide smile "uuuu called mee umkin" chuckling she reached out and ruffled his already messy curls "you like that name? pumpkin?" his eyes sparkled as he nodded his head.

Sitting up she ran a hand over her face trying to sweep away the cobwebs. Aware just like her nephew he would probably be hungry and need a change of diaper she asked him again "So pumpkin, how are you feeling this morning?" he scrunched up his face and then whispered as if afraid to admit "I is hwungy" his voice dropping even softer "an messy" Marne felt sorry for the little one but she was more prepared now than she was last night. Standing up she held her hand out to him, "Come on then let's get you cleaned up and then I'll make you some breakfast." Leading him into the bedroom she repeated what Heidi had taught her the night before, Henry held NeNe close as she removed his diaper and cleaned his bottom and prince parts. Remembering this time, the right way to position him before taping up the new diaper. She was thankful that he seemed calmer this morning and whilst she did up his snaps, he was babbling to her bear completely unaware that she was finished.

Henry was now sitting at the breakfast bar drinking orange juice from a Sippy cup waiting whilst she made scrambled eggs and bacon. Talking over her shoulder Marne asked, "So what would you like to do today, We can do colouring, baking or play with playdoh?" behind her she could hear humming she hoped it was a sign he was thinking. Lifting the scrambled eggs onto a plastic batman plate she turned around and placed it in front of the little.

He gazed at the plate then back at her frowning as he said in a loud deep voice "nuuuu atnan" as he pushed the plate away, scrunching up her face trying to decipher what atnan was she asked "What do you mean baba, I thought you would like eggs" frustration etched his face as he repeated slower "nuuuuuu atnan, wan supes."

His bottom lip started to quiver as she took her time running the words through her adult brain. Atnan, Supes. Then the penny dropped keeping eye contact to watch for any hint that she was correct she said, "You don't like Batman? But prefer Superman?" eyes watery but no tears yet he gave her a wobblily smile as he nodded. Letting out a breath thankful she was able to work it out she went back to her draw and looked at the plastic plates she had, josh loved batman and most of the items were covered in that, all except for one that was tucked at the bottom when he went through an Aqua man phase pulling it out hope this would work she said "I don't have supes plates Henry but I do have Aqua man is that ok?" before she even turned around she heard a giggle and then "Yeth pweese I wike ason" totally lost on what ason was she gave up and accepted that she might not always understand his babble.

It took all of two mouthfuls to realise that he needed help with eating, or she needed to put a drop cloth under him. Most of the egg had ended up on the floor, his furrowed focussed glare at the fork alerted her to his frustration. Hoping he would not refuse her help she sat adjacent to him and asked, "Can miss Marnie help little one?" she tried not to laugh as his cute cupids bow pursed into a pout letting out a humph then softly, he said, "yeth pweese" she swapped the fork for a spoon and lifted a small amount to his lips. Trying to make it less frustrating for him she turned it into an aeroplane resulting in many giggles whilst he finished his meal.

That morning they sat down at the kitchen table after he had decided on playdoh, she had changed the tablecloth to a plastic one and arranged the colourful playdoh in a neat row. Together they sat moulding Marnie had some brown dough and was making a horse. Henry had some blue, green and red dough, she was unsure of what he was making apart from a mixed rainbow of dough that she knew she would never be able to separate. But as with Josh, they both seemed to not care about keeping things neat or separate. Right now, however, she could forgive anything, as the look on his face was priceless. Brow's furrowed eyes fixed in concentration with his tongue sticking out to the side. Her thoughts started to wander into uncharted territory as she watched him, wondering who he really was? Who his family was? And if anyone was looking for him.

Returning back to the plan that Heidi and she had discussed earlier that morning she took a breath and spoke "Hey sweetheart, do you want to play another question game?" it took a moment for him to look up putting the final part on the top of his creation.

A big smile and a twinkle in his eye he replied "Qweston ike baff time?" honestly her brain almost did not see the large muscular man anymore. His behaviour and speech were messing so much with her mind that all she could see was a little boy. "Yes, pumpkin, like bath time." He frowned for a moment then asked "Can we still make pwado?" she could tell he was trying to think about which one he would prefer but she interrupted his thoughts "Yes, we can do both" it was a quick open-faced reply as he said with a grin "Otay"

In the centre of the table, Marne placed her sculptured horse alongside Henry's finished piece. Grabbing some purple, orange and white he started a new piece as she asked her first question "so, do you have any brothers and sisters Henry?" happily twisting the colours into a snake he giggled and replied nodding his head "yup, I has 4 broders." Smiling she responded, "wow that's a lot of brothers, are you the youngest?" a giggle burst out of his lips as he said "uhuh Miss Ma it's my tuwn not yours" chagrined she pouted at the grinning boy "oops ok what's your question?"

He twisted his snake into a coil as he asked, "You has awot of kids stuff Miss Marnie, do you want kids?" unprepared for the innocent question, she picked up a pink bit of playdoh and pulled it through her fingers for a moment. How do you answer a question that serious with a 3or 4-year-old? Her silence unsettled Henry causing him to fidget in his seat. She looked up at him seeing a tear slip down his cheek "what's the matter honey?" his bottom lip trembled as he said "I Sowwy, my qweston make miss Ma sawd?" realising her delayed response had caused him sadness she moved around quickly and put an arm around his broad shoulders. "No pumpkin, you didn't make me sad, it's just. Miss Marnie has never found that special someone she would want to have children with. I love having my nephew around to play with and I'm having fun having playtime with you. I do want kids, but I don't think I will ever have the opportunity so I'm happy being an aunty and your friend"

Henry leaned into Miss Marnie's side as she gave him big warm side hugs, he knew he had made her sad with his question. Now he needed to make her happy again wondering what he could do. Remembering her second question he said "I Wike being uuoo fwend too Miss Marnie, my broders are my first fwends, Piers is da owdest, den Niki, Simon an Chawee is da yondest I'm oldwer dan Chawee" he gave miss Ma a grin and she grinned back. Having lost interest in his snake he turned to Miss Ma and asked: "Can we snugel on the cowch?" He must have said the right thing because she blushed then smiled big "Sure henry, did you want to watch a movie before lunch?" He loved movies, standing he giggled and nodded, then took off for the couch, he could hear Miss Ma laughing behind him making him happy he had succeeded in taking the sad away.

A/N Thank you for reading this story so far, if you liked this chapter please vote and comment :) and

Happy New Year 2021