Chapter 25 (Edited)

Chapter 25

The panicked voice of Judy rang out from the tiny speakers "Where's Marnie Henry, and why are you answering her phone?" he could hear the frustration and worry in her voice, he took a calming breath then answered, "Were back at Marnie's home Judith, she came home two weeks ago and it took me that long to find her. It's not good, she was in a terrible state when I arrived and now, I don't know what to do. She's acting young like I was. I need your help" he was met with silence then an angry voice spoke up "What, Did, You, DO?"

He knew he deserved it, he had lost his temper with her and told her he didn't need her. But he had not meant entirely he had just meant on the set. Slowly he explained to Judith what had happened right up until he had put her to bed. He even told her what Dr Nolan had told him to do, her voice had lost some of its bite but she was still unhappy with him, "Henry, I am coming over, I finish my shift in 3 hours and I am going to request some time off. Just look after her ok, ohh and Henry?" relief and nervousness flooded his body at her comment as he replied "Yes Judith?" a slight chuckle caught his ear as she said "Don't forget to clean up the preserve in the kitchen otherwise you will have ants crawling everywhere"

Henry was on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor and walls of the kitchen. How to mothers doing this every day he thought as his back ached to cause him to sit on his knees. Finally, the kitchen was sparkling standing he went to wash his hands when he heard a whimper. He stilled waiting to see if it was just his imagination, there it was again. Hearing now that it was coming from the bedroom he quickly moved and saw Marnie sitting up in bed her thumb in her mouth and silent tears running down her cheeks. Moving quickly to her side he wrapped her up into his arms and held her tight, running his hands gently up and down her back he felt her bury her face in his chest.

"Hey princess, did you have a bad dream?" he felt her head nodding against his chest and her muffled voice said "I loss ouu daddy, I coudn find ouu" at her words he groaned pulling his arms tighter around her. "ohh Chicken, you haven't lost me, I'm right here" he said whilst kissing the top of her head. Lifting her head her hazel eyes piercing his as she whispered "Really, you won weve me?" it was said so sweetly and quietly, Henry's heart skipped a beat, he would be answering when she was young but he really wanted his words to be heard by Ma as he said with certainty " I will never leave you, sweetheart, you are my princess without you I would be a lost prince." He was sure he saw a flicker of her true self flash in her eyes before it disappeared. Replaced once again by the wide-eyed innocent eyes of his chicken.

Henry looked at the clock on the bedside table, Judith would be there in another hour. Remembering his promise from the morning he smiled at her, "How would you like to go blow some bubbles?" she giggled at the mention of bubbles, sitting back and then started to bounce on the bed "Yay BUBBLES" Henry laughed at her exuberance. "Well princess, we need to find something to make the bubbles" he stood and walked into her closet hidden at the back of the closet he finally found what he was looking for.

Walking back into the room he wiggled his eyebrows at Marnie who was still bouncing on the bed. "ready Chicken, all I have to do is bend this into a circle and then we need some dishwashing detergent" Laughing Marnie jumped off the bed and ran to the kitchen, Henry hot in pursuit, he chuckled as he turned into the kitchen. There she was on her hands and knees, head first in the under the sink, her cute little bottom wiggling and she pulled bottle after bottle out of the cupboard until a squeal could be heard "Found it" the rest of her body reappearing holding a bottle of Detergent.

Together they stood at the back steps the narrow concrete area where her clothesline hung was a perfect place to blow bubbles. They found a bucket and filled it with a mixture of detergent and water. Then Henry twisted the coat hanger to make an odd round shape. "Ok princess let's see how this goes" he dipped the coat hanger in the soapy concoction and pulled it out. A rainbow-coloured film now clung to the metal. He crouched next to Marnie and instructed "now we have to blow very gently to make the bubble let's give it a go" together they blew very gently creating a large bubble to gracefully let go of the metal and formed a floating bubble. It flew around the air then landed with a pop on the fence. Marnie giggled shouting "again, again!!"