Chapter 15 (Edited)

Chapter 15

Leaving Henry in his time out was hard on Marnie, she could already tell from the small whimpers coming from the corner that it was going to be a long 10mins. Walking back over to the group of now anxious adults she addressed Joey, "Can you please tell me what that was all about? You are supposed to be the adult" a sheepish look crossed Joey's face and he looked down unable to meet Marnie's stern look "I'm sorry miss Marnie, I guess I got carried away with playing and forgot". She wanted to be angry with him, but his now apologetic stance defused her anger. Sighing she stepped closer and looked up at his downcast face, "Joey, look at me please." The tall slender man lifted his sad eyes to meet hers. Giving him a soft reassuring smile she said "I can understand you losing yourself in playing, but when he is finished his time out I will be telling him to apologise to you and I expect you to follow suit ok." Joey nodded with a solum face as the 3 actors turned and sat.

Henry had been staring at the white wall for what seems like hours. In reality, it had only been two minutes. The seat was getting uncomfortable and he desperately wanted to go back and keep playing with his friends. His mind whirled with feelings of being cranky at Ma for putting him here, the frustration that Joey wouldn't do as he instructed and that he had broken a rule something he hated doing. In fact, they had only just put those rules in place surely she could have overlooked it. A few more minutes passed by, the noise in his head started to quieten and focus instead on Ma, all he could see now in his mind was the look of disappointment on her face. She had not been angry but she had looked at him with such sadness. His stomach started to hurt the more he thought about how he had made his princess sad. The longer he sat the worse he felt until fat droplets of water fell onto his hands. He was so caught up in his misery that he failed to hear Ma approach his chair, telling him he could leave the corner.

Marnie stood beside her boy his shoulders were hunched and he had tears streaming down his face. Seeing his distress broke her heart, she placed an arm around his shoulders and pulled him into her waist. "Shhhh Pumpkin, its all over now." His tears turned into sniffling as she continued to hug him close. "Can you tell me why I put you into time out honey?" more sniffling than a soft wobbly voice said, "I bwoke a wule, I thwow da block, ans I wasn't nice to oey" so proud of her boy for owning up to his mistakes she squeezed him tighter into her side leaning her head down kissing his hair. Henry looked up at his Ma through watery eyes "I's sowwy I makes ouuu sawd Ma. I don wike making my pwinsess sawd." Touched by his comment she lent down, looking him in the eye and kissed him lightly on the lips causing him to shyly smile. Pulling back she gave him a warm smile as she said, "Well my prince just made me very happy, and you can make me even happier by going and apologising to Joey" his smile dropped at that comment but he didn't argue.

Standing back to his full 6 ft height he took Ma's hand and walked over to where Joey was sitting. Head looking down, Henry tuck himself as close to Ma as he could and mumbled: "I's sorry oey, can oouuu fowgivs mee?" If the visitors had any doubt that he was just acting this action bought reality to the forefront. Their friend and co-worker were struggling and for Joey, the fun of pretending just flew out the window. He looked up from his seated positing into his friend's face and saw the look of contrition making his gut ache. He stood and shuffled his feet on the spot as he said "I'm sorry to Henry, I got carried away. I forgive you but can you forgive me too?" His own face looking now at the floor Joey was surprised when he was smothered, tightly circled by large arms and pulled into the chest of Henry.

His deep voice saying "I's otay oey, dons be sawd I wikes pwaying wif oouuu" Ma could see Joey squirm slightly in henry's arms. Coughing gently to pull the over-attentive toddlers attention back to her, seeing Joeys slight discomfort from being held so tightly Ma said "good boy pumpkin, you can let Joey go now ok. How about we do a different kind of playing. Would you like to play Geralt pumpkin?" the moment the words were out of her mouth the tall toddler released Joey and started jumping on the spot "Yeth, yeth me pway Gewalt" bright-faced and giddy he looked at his friends "oouuu wans to pway too?"