Chapter 22 (Edited)

Dedicated to @IzzyMaru, @MeXAgainstXTheXWorld, @madddie_HpFan and @SillyRabbit81 your communication has filled me with giggles and encouragement. 

Chapter 22

The rest of the weekend was precious, together they continued to play in the yard with Kal, watch movies and play blocks. Even though Henry was still big he had been able to relax and just enjoy having fun with Joshie knowing that Marnie and Judy did not judge him for his behaviour. He didn't go as far as baby speech or anything like when he was a toddler but just being able to play games and let go of his responsibilities for those few days was freeing.

Monday morning came too soon, and Joshie and Henry hugged for the longest time before Judy took him and put him in the car. Henry sensed Marnie's sadness so walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. He felt her relax in his arms as he rested his head on her shoulder watching and waving as Judy and Joshie backed out. They stood there for the longest time, well after the car had disappeared. Nothing was said, as the silent couple walked back into the house both missing Joshie and Judy.

Marnie awoke to a cold bed, this was nothing new it had been a regular routine over the last 2 months that Henry would wake at 3 am and go for a run with Kal or go to the gym to work out to keep his body in shape for the role he was playing. Groaning she rolled to her side then sat up waiting for her head to gain equilibrium. She knew he would be back soon, she followed her morning routine preparing for the day. By the time he arrived back home, she was ready dressed with breakfast on the table. She smiled at her boy, his hair sweaty and stuck to his face, his muscles glistening as if he was oiled up, but she knew it was just more sweat. His blue tank top clinging to his abdomen sent a shiver through her middle and yet she knew he was not really hers.

If anyone was to look at the pair from the outside they would say "what a devoted couple" or "it's so sweet how she dotes on him and he on her." The reality was very different, by day she was his cook, cleaner, driver, protector. She would drive him to work, shopping, and twice a week to Dr Nolan's offices. Once they were in the safety of the home she then became mother, comforter, friend and carer. They were comfortable in each other's arms and could talk for hours. However, that is where it stopped, no matter how much time had passed she was still Ma, and his princess but nothing more.

Today was no different in fact there was no foreshadowing of what was to come, after breakfast they drove to the studio. The Witcher team was in the final weeks of filming and tension to get things right was flying high. The morning had gone well and Marnie had been working diligently on her next book when she heard a heated argument. Used to hearing arguments she continued to type until she heard Henry's voice above the noise "YOU CAN'T DO IT LIKE THAT, THAT'S AGAINST WITCHER LORE. THE FANS WILL CRUCIFY US."

Jumping to her feet she ran to where the ruckus was coming from. There, stood Henry face red and staring down a man who was holding up an amour. The words were flying strong between the two and it had drawn a crowd. Henry was always passionate about getting things right, but this seemed to be escalating so Marnie acting on instinct stepped in between the two men facing Henry. "Henry!" she said in her firm voice, he continued to glare over her head. Placing her hands on his chest she said again "Henry, step away, go cool off" this got his attention. In the heat of the moment, his hard eyes landed on her.

The next moments would forever be branded in her mind as he said "I'm NOT LITTLE Anymore, I don't need you here" His words hit her harder than any fists could. She held his gaze for a moment longer then left before he would see her face crumbling. She ran packing up her computer and quickly past Lauren, Joey and then the girls. They all called to her, urging her to stop but she had to get out of there. She had said she would be there until he no longer needed her, and his words told her she was no longer needed. Arriving back at the house she collected her things, packing all the little items and her clothes and filled the car. Looking around she saw NeNe and Geralt sitting with his shark. Walking forward tears streaming down her face she picked up NeNe, he was hers, she would leave the others behind, but NeNe would come with her.

Kal nipped at her heals whining at her as if to say "what's wrong mum" her hands rested down on his head as he pushed into her leg. She let him out to go potty, and then back in. Holding NeNe she took in one more time the place she had called home for the last, closing in on, 3 months. Putting her keys on the table she pulled the door closed and left.

Marne sat on her couch staring aimlessly at the white wall in front of her, his words slicing dangerously around her delicate mind. The scene on the white wall of their colourful handprints made by Joshie's small hands dwarfed by Henry's larger hands and next to those her own petite hands taunted her. It was like her brain was suffering whiplash, 3 months ago she had been single, happy, enjoying life with her work, and friends. Yes, the nights had been lonely, and she had questioned her sanity in staying single, but she had been happy. In three months, she had gone from single and carefree to worrying over a 37yr old toddler 24/7, Caring for his every need, constantly worrying about his safety, then transiting to caring for a grown man. Then bang she was back to being single again.

The handprints screamed at her, calling her stupid, taunting her again and again, in that moment she looked down and saw one of henry's pacifiers' that had been forgotten under the coffee table when they had left all those weeks ago. She reached down and picked it up, all reason or sense of her bigger self slowly disappearing as she placed it in her mouth. Stretching out she lay her head on the cushion, hugging NeNe tightly to her chest as she stared aimlessly at the wall a single tear running down her cheek as she gave in and let go.

She awoke her mind fuzzy, her eye's struggling to focus. What had woken her up? She listened; the silence was interrupted again with rapping at the front door. Running a hand over her face she tried to focus, tried to remember, removing the pacifier from her mouth she stood up. Walking slowly, she reached the door as the rapping started again. Opening the door, she stood eyes wide staring at the visitor. Arm held up as if ready to rap again there stood Henry, her mind struggled to comprehend why he was there. It had been two weeks, no contact, no texts, two weeks of silence. He stared at her his mouth opening and closing struggling to make a sound. He looked at his feet for a moment then as if a determination overcame him he looked her dead in the eye as he said "Are you going to let me in?" it wasn't a hard voice that asked but it wasn't warm either. It was as if he was here under duress.

Opening the door wider she stood back and watched as he walked past her heading to the living room. She followed behind him her feet still moving slowing, eyes cast down watching his feet, knowing what he was going to see. She saw his feet stop at the archway into the living room. Not wanting to look up knowing that he would be seeing the carnage that had been her life for the last two weeks. Empty takeaway boxes, Ice cream containers, chip packets and lolly wrappers were strewn around the room. Her pillow, blanket and NeNe on the couch and the Pacifier resting by the pillow. Turning around she watched as his feet moved towards hers, his finger rested under her chin as he lifted it up to face him. Instead of the cold eyes now they were filled with concern. The more he stared into her eyes, now with what could be construed as care, the more she felt her thin walls crumble, the tears that had fallen over and over threatened to fall again.

She wasn't sure when he finally decided to make a move, all she knew was she was now engulfed in the solid arms of Henry. They crushed her into his chest, her final resolve dissolving as the despair of the last two weeks spilt over her cheeks wetting his shirt. Her body shaking as she felt him lift her into his arms and down towards her bedroom. He laid both of them on the bed not releasing her but cocooning her with his body. His hands caressing her hair and back, his lips whispering words of comfort. His final words, the ones that floated around her mind now as exhaustion claimed her were the two she wanted to hear, needed to hear "I'm Sorry"  

A/N Don't kill me, I love you, but something had to give. As always love communication and votes Selah