Chapter 19 (Edited)

Chapter 19

Henry opened his eyes, his head and stomach felt heavy until he saw Marnie. A new feeling settled around his chest realising she hadn't run after finding out what he had been through. He wanted to pull her close but Kal was wedged firmly between them. Thankful for Kal's unconditional love wrapped his arm over the furry heater. As he did he was surprised to find Marnie's arm also wrapped over his furry body. Smiling he held on to her arm shut his eyes and fell back asleep.

Marnie awoke to hot stinky breath, opening her eyes she looked into the black muzzle and dark eyes that were staring back at her. She wanted to laugh at the dog who looked like he was sizing her up. She then realised her arm was around the dog, it felt heavy with another weight on top of her arm pinning the canine down. Guessing it was Henry's arm she adjusted her hand so she could massage the dogs flank. As if she had hit the right spot Kal's eyes hooded and he let out a happy whimper. A chuckle could be heard from somewhere behind the massive furball, "You found his weakness, he loves being massaged just like his owner" At that comment she saw his head pop up over the top of Kals a smirk firmly placed on his face.

Something had changed after yesterday's unburdening, no longer was Henry silent and quiet in big space but a cheeky side was starting to emerge. Kind of similar to little Henry but not so innocent. Marnie was grateful for the change, it lightened the morning. Nick arrived just after breakfast and together the three of us went down to the studio. It wasn't until they pulled into the carpark that Marnie noticed that the cheeky Henry had disappeared and was replaced by the insecure quiet Man from the day before.

Pensive they walked into the studio's offices and met with Lauren, they walked through the main office into the meeting room where his legal team and the studio's team plus Anya, Joey and Freya were already seated. The three sat, Henry seating Marnie close holding her hand as he described his story, not as in detail as last night but enough to make everyone sit up and take notice. The three actors were able to give their account of yesterday's event plus behaviour they had noticed prior to Henry's disappearance between Beth and their friend.

The legal teams conferred on the evidence they had plus looking at the forms signed by Beth on engaging with her employment at the studio. With a plan in place, Beth was called to the office.

Henry was shaking, he could not believe that all these people had believed him and were ready to fight to protect him and his reputation. He heard the outer door to the offices open as Lauren greeted the visitor, he then heard the sickly sweet voice of Beth saying "Lauren, what's going on." Lauren opened the door into the main office and with a neutral voice said, "Beth just come in please" He was grateful that they were in the adjoining room but still able to hear. Even from this distance, her voice caused panic to rise in his middle.

Beth had taken a seat looking at Lauren and the official man sitting to the side of the desk. She had begun to play with the edge of her sweater sleeves as Lauren addressed her "Beth, there has been a complaint filed against you and we need to hear your side of the story before we make a decision on how to proceed" Before she had a chance to explain Beth's voice now shrill rose up "It had better not have been from that overprotective bitch that is hanging around Henry. She has to realise that he is mine and no one else's. We are just taking a breather at the moment as He was getting too intense with things and I needed a break" His blood ran hot as listened to her spew her venom, how dare she speak about his princess like that. He felt Marnie lay a hand on his arm bringing him down. He had begun to move ready to walk into the room to lay it straight to the cow, he was never going to be going back to her.

Settled again Marnie watched Henry as his face returned to a slightly less intense shade of red. She had also been angry at her comment but they needed to not interfere even though she wanted to deck her herself. She returned to listening having missed some of Laurens response "... Henry is putting a restraining order against you in response to an incident witnessed yesterday during the break. The complaint did not come from his personal assistant" again Beth interrupted her a calmer voice "Ohh Lauren he is just overreacting my baby is a sensitive boy. He is just a little mixed up at the moment, you know he has a mental illness, I was instrumental in keeping him on track before the break and I was trialling a new treatment over the break. I just need him to come home so we can continue the treatment" her voice was so steady that Marnie believed that she truly believed her own lie.