Chapter 27 (Edited)

Chapter 27

Marnie's mind felt hazy, her eyelids refusing to open. She could hear two male voice's talking quietly, one was the unmistakable buttery voice of Dr Nolan. The other voice she knew without a shadow of doubt was the deep gravelly voice of her boy. Still foggy she forced her eyes to open and looked up, she was cradled in Henry's arms curled up on his lap. His face was focused on Doctor Nolan, she could see a stray tear fall down his cheek as he looked down at her. Surprise filled his eyes, she lifted her hand to wipe the tear away, it was as if a vale of fog was lifted as she brushed his cheek, "Why are you crying Pumpkin?" his breath hitched at her words as more tears began to fall. She smiled softly at him, wanting to soothe his tears she lifted her head and began to lightly kiss the trail of tears. Peppering his cheeks with her soft kisses a stronger feeling started to grow causing her to move to kiss him on his lips.

Warmth speared through her body, as she held her lips firmly to his. This was her first real kiss, he was not little, was no longer distressed. Instead, she felt him return the pressure, his tongue lightly caressing her lips. Unsure of what to do next she was relieved when she heard Doctor Nolan clear his voice "I hate to interrupt but.." two very red faces turned to look at him. Schooling his features he gave a gentle smile to Marnie as he said "Welcome back Marnie, how are you feeling?" how was she feeling? unsure of what had happened she should have been a trembling mess but cuddled here, encased in Henry's arms, she felt the safest she had ever felt. As if she was able to finally let go of her responsibilities, a weight lifted from her chest leaving her feeling light and giddy. Resting her head on his chest she responded with the softest whisper "Safe"

She could hear his heart beating rapidly at her statement, his arms tightening around her. "Can you elaborate on that Marnie? Why do you feel safe?" she thought about Dr Nolan's statement her face furrowed as she replied "To be honest I don't know, it's just a feeling like I don't have to be in control, I can just relax. I have always been the responsible one, always having to be in control because people were relying on me. I don't know why I am in Henry's arms, or what has happened that has bought you all the way down to my little place, and yet I still feel safe."

Silence fell over the room alerting them to the sound of quiet crying, Dr Nolan looked up and to the opening to the kitchen and saw Judy sitting at the table her head in her hands. He looked back at the pair who looked ready to jump up but he put a hand up stilling them. He watched as Marnie relaxed back into Henry nodding her consent to release the control to him. He stood and walked into the kitchen placing a warm hand on her shoulder as he pulled a seat out. He could sense her stiffen just a moment then relax under his hand her body continuing to shake as her tears took over. For once in his clinical career, he put all propriety aside, turning Judy from her position at the table he opened his arms in an invitation. She hesitated but a moment, then fell into his arms.

Marnie hated the sound of her sister crying. If she had heard her conversation then she knew Judy would be feeling guilty. She wanted to comfort her, to tell her it's ok but she also didn't want to leave Henry's arms. There was still a niggling fear, why was she in Henry's arms and why was he here. Hadn't he asked her to leave? The last thing she remembered with any clarity was the look of anger on his face as told her he no longer needed her. So why was he now cradling her in his arms like a child... The moment she made the connection she shivered.

Involuntarily she tensed as she looked to Henry for confirmation, his eyes softened as she asked in a small voice "Did I, was I, umm," her fear and nerves took over making her lose her ability to speak. The tenderness that crossed his features as he watched her struggle calmed her as he whispered "Don't worry about it right now ok, just know that you are safe ok " his arms tightening around her resignation hit her for now she contented herself to burrow her head into his chest, she closed her eyes and blocked everything but Henry out of her mind.