Chapter 14(Edited)

Chapter 14

Murphy's law was playing against Marnie, she had wanted to sleep had hoped the two of them could rest but as if the fates were against them on arrival home a furry friend was there to meet them. The 3 adults and Henry were greeted at the door by Nikki's wife and Kal Henry's Akita. On seeing the dog he had ran full steam tackling Kal, then running into the house. The pull on her arm made Nikki's wife lose the dog who was now running around the living room with the tall toddler. Giggles and laughter could be heard as well as crashing sounds as furniture was being leapt over or pushed aside in his game. She was glad he was happy and loved seeing the joy on both the dog's face and her boy's but she was also spent. The last straw was when he started jumping on the arm of the sofa playing keep away from Kal who was jumping up at his master. Just the sight of the 6ft man standing on the edge looking down at his dog reminded her of the highchair incident.

Stern faced she voiced as calm as she could "Henry!!" surprised at her tone he looked over to her. Schooling her features, trying not to show her anger she said "Get down from there right now!" what she didn't anticipate was that he had an audience now of 4 adults which spurred him on to entertain. Instead of just stepping down he turned and somersaulted headfirst into the couch landing flat on his back giggling with triumph at executing the perfect manoeuvre. What he hadn't seen was the look of fear or the anger that had filled his Ma's face at his hijinks.

They had yet to talk rules, yet to talk punishments but Marnie could not let this one slide. She walked over and stood finally able to tower over the man from this vantage point.

He looked up at her pleased until he saw her face, it was red and her eyes looked glassy "Henry, what did I say to you about climbing on furniture?" he tried to think and wanted to say the right thing to make her red face disappear so his princess would come back. "ouuu says ask for helwps if needing tings up high ifs I's too wittle" he watched her thinking for a moment. Then as if exasperated she just walked away. Not sure what had just happened he looked at his brother who was just shaking his head. Mummy had a small frown on her face too. But he had said the right thing, hadn't he.

Marnie did not want to show her frustration, she had worked so hard to not lose her temper, but right now. Well, he had been right, she had neglected to give him directives to not climb the furniture, instead, she had just instructed him to ask for help. But the fear of seeing him once again putting himself in danger of being hurt. It was all just too much, so instead, she had removed herself from the temptation of yelling at him. Knowing that would cause him to lose trust in her. She lay on the bed in the dark, hoping the other adults would look after him while she took some well needed time out.

Her mind was fuzzy, aware she must have fallen asleep she wondered how long she had been out. Opening her eyes she was startled at the blue eyes looking back at her. Over his head, she could see the digital clock blinking  3 am. The silent man just continued to watch her, eyeing her which was reminiscent of their arrival at his home. She could see the others had changed him into his nighttime onesie and she was glad they had let her sleep. Remembering the Dr's words she said softly, "Hello Henry, do you know who I am?" hoping this time he would remember her somewhat. His deep voice softly floated to her as he continued to stare "you're the lady that bought me home the other night?" it was a statement but ended with a slight questioning glance. "Yes Henry, my name is Marnie, do you remember anything after we arrived home?" he struggled thinking hard, "maybe, it's quite fuzzy. Just images, brightly coloured rooms." Scrunching up his face his voice softened even more asking "Is there something wrong with me? Have I lost my mind?"

All she wanted to do right now was pull him into her arms and give him a warm hug. Knowing that might be too much and Wondering how far to take it, she stayed calm and still. Grateful that he remembered her she decided to fill him in gently on some of what was happening. "You haven't lost your mind, something happened that has caused you to feel safer in the mindset of a toddler." She watched as his face grew nervous "It's ok, we have gone with your brother to a Dr and he is working with us together to help you. The brightly coloured room you remember is where you met Dr Nolan." His brows deepened trying to remember instead they looked back to her wide and tears brimming "I can't, I don't know..." at this point, she knew he needed something more and lifted her arm in a gesture of invitation.