Chapter 8 (Edited)

Chapter 8

The room was silent until Marianne spoke: "Firstly I want to thank you for taking such care of my son. I have seen in the little time we have been here that he has grown very attached to you. I have also seen the love you have shown him." She chuckled pointing to the wall and she continued "I can also see he has been a bit of a handful." This bought a chuckle from Marnie and Nick. Nick continued "as you said when we arrived there is hope that he will age up returning to his real age. But until then, he is going to need constant supervision, we don't know your obligations or work situation, but would you consider coming with us and being his carer until he no longer needs it?"

Marnie was stunned by their request, granted her work could be done anywhere, but she was also a carer for Joshie. She stood and moved to look at the wall, the bright handprints, his large hand next to her own. Could she manage to keep a professional distance? what would he be like when he returned to his real age? So many questions swirled around her mind as she turned back to his family. Taking a calming breath, she gazed at them as she spoke "I will need a night to think on it, but I can say to be that close to him, for however long it will take, I need to have greater authority over what he does, and what happens around him. In essence to take the role of Mummy. I would never presume to take your role Marianne, but I would need his consent to act in a similar role."

She sat back down and put her head in her hands, as much as it was going to hurt in the end, she could not begin to imagine leaving him right now. Nick's voice broke into her thoughts as he responded "I think given the situation that is a fair call if you agree come morning just give us a nod. We will then talk to Henry" Marnie was tired, even with the nap she had taken she was emotionally drained, standing she instructed "Marianne, you can have the guest bed, and Nick this couch turns into a bed as well. I'll come to help you make it after I show your mother her room." He smiled at her and whilst scratched his neck grunted, "no need, I just need a pillow and blanket and that will be perfect." After helping them both get settled, she returned to her room. Changing into her pyjamas she crawled into bed. She lay looking up at the ceiling for a moment her mind still swirling with the events of the day until she felt a strong arm wrap around her middle and a head nuzzled into her neck. At that moment she knew she would do anything he asked as long as Henry wanted her she would be there for him.

Marnie awoke early the next morning again to a weigh on her. His body burrowed into hers felt natural, even present apart from the pressure on her bladder. She gently removed herself from his grasp replacing her body with her pillow which he seemed to snuggle into. After seeing to her need she walked back into the room and gazed at the man in her bed. His 6 ft 1 frame occupied a large proportion of her bed it was no wonder she awoke with him surrounding her.

He slept so similarly to Joshie now that she was not there to be surrounded his legs splayed laying on his stomach whilst his arms hugged the pillow she had replaced herself with.

What would it be like to care for this man? It had been a roller coaster the last two days but then she had been treating him as a guest. As someone who needed a gentle hand before finding his family and sending him on his way. What would she need to do to make caring for him work? She would need to set up some ground rules for a start, and maybe go see Heidi before they left. Remembering her words to henry the night before she went back to the bed, gently she removed the pillow and slipped back into his embrace.

Little Henry could not believe it, Miss Ma had said that when he woke up she would be there. He had hoped and wished that she would be, but his other mummy had said things which he had happily expected only to be disappointed and hurt when she didn't do it. However, Miss Ma so far did everything she said she would. She was so soft, so snuggly, and she smelled so good. He was so focused on watching her that he didn't remember to wake her. Which he had really needed to do and now instead he felt himself have an accident. Fear curled in his tummy, causing him to hide in her hair looking for comfort. It was embarrassing when she needed to help him, but she was kind, his other mummy had hurt him every time he had an accident, he had ruined her couch and her bed. He winced at the memories, but then he felt Miss Ma's arms wrap around him, holding him tight as she whispered "Hey little one, did the monsters try to scare you?" how did she know he was scared? Henry smiled the fear uncurling and warmth replacing the tight knot in his tummy. He hoped that she would let him stay cause she was the best at chasing the monsters away.