Chapter 4 (Edited)

Chapter 4

Colours filled the Tv scene as Tarzan flew through the forest. Marne could hear little muffled gasps of awe and excitement as the sounds slipped past his pacifier. She looked down at Henry whose head was now situated on her lap, his curls a mass atop his head. It was strange to her how quickly she had become comfortable with the large man. She had made progress, learning the names of his brothers, she hoped he had a good memory in little space. Heidi had talked with her at length early this morning explaining to her what little space was and how it worked. She was still processing the information, but all his behaviours made more sense now. All she had to do was try and see him as her nephew. To forget that he was a muscular tall handsome man but instead a 4-year-old child.

Thunder and lightning crackle across the screen as Tarzan and the Colonel tangle in the vines. Marne heard a whimper escape the little boys' lips and body tense at the climax of the movie, Her hands instinctively reach out and tangled into his hair as she murmurs "its ok sweet boy, your safe and Tarzan is going to be ok too." His childlike voice floated up to her "Henwy don ike tunder it scawy." Continuing to caress his hair she felt him relax into her. The movie finished credits rolled and her charge began to fidget, hands pulling at the cuffs of his onesie then stilled. Recognising the similar movement, she gently asked "How about we get you changed then have some lunch?" a rumble responded from his tummy as he responded in a quiet voice "Yeth pweese"

Settled back at the table, a plate of sandwiches cut into triangles with the crusts cut off was sitting in front of the broad-shouldered man. One held tightly in his fist while another was being stuffed in his mouth. Marnie chuckled at the sight "does it taste ok little one?" a muffled sound and a nod of his head her reply. Shaking her hand, she reprimanded him "eat slower you don't want to choak ok" pulling the triangle away from his mouth he swallowed and replied "ok, I swow down Miss Ma, I no wanna chok" as the young one finished eating Marnie hoped he would be ready for another game. Picking up a wet wipe she leaned over gently taking his chin in her hand, "you like strawberry preserve? I think you got more on your cheeks then in your mouth pumpkin" he giggled at the statement but at the same time wriggled not liking being cleaned.

"All done" she voiced before sitting back down, "I have another question for you, pumpkin. How good is your memory?" he screwed up his face then his eye widened before saying "you mean rememoring?" laughing Marnie smiled "yes, remembering. For example, I can remember my phone number from when I was a little girl living with mummy and daddy. Can you remember any phone numbers?" Henry lowered his eyebrows trying to remember "I cans member Nikki's number I aways caws his umber from rememoring" inside Marnie was hoping beyond hope that it was a correct number "Can you tell me the number honey?"

Henry rattled off the number as she wrote it down. Looking up she saw him rubbing his eyes with his fist, hoping for just one more she asked, "Can you remember any others?" eyebrows furrowed again he looked down until his bottom lip started to quiver "They gets all squiggly Miss Ma" standing quickly she went to his side placing an arm around his broad shoulders. "It's ok honey, you did really well. I think someone might need an afternoon nap. Would you like some warm milk before you sleep?" He nodded his head slightly as his thumb went up to his mouth, acting quickly Marne grabbed his pacifier "don't suck your thumb honey that's yucky, here" she replaced his thumb with the pacifier. He sat there silently sucking while she made his milk.

Milk drunk she laid him down in her bed covering his body with her fluffy duvet. Leaning down she kissed him on the forehead and hummed softly, his head deepened into the pillow. He looked so sweet when he slept, his lips holding tightly to the paci his hands clutching NeNe as his eyes lids fluttered. Satisfied he was asleep she walked out into the kitchen grabbing her phone she prayed the number he gave her was correct. The phone rang, after 4 rings a man's voice answered "hello" startled at the deep voice she took a moment then answered "Hi, my name is Marnie, I have been given your number by a gentleman staying with me. I need to confirm that I am talking to the right person so can I ask your name?" she was met with silence then "my name is Nick Cavill, can you tell me who is staying with you?"

Relieved and yet needing added reassurance she said, "Your second youngest brother, can you describe him for me so that I can truly confirm I have the right person" more silence then "Madam, my second youngest brother has been missing for 4 months, he is 6'1 curly dark brown hair, blue eyes with a small brown patch in the left eye. He goes by the name of Henry" Marnie breathed a sigh of relief at the final description. Taking a moment, she heard talking and realised she had become unfocused "Please is he alright, the last we heard he had disappeared from set. The studio has been looking for him and so have we." Walking to the sitting room she sat on the couch and retold the events in summery of the last 24 hours finishing with "Has your brother ever had an episode like this before?"

Nicki responded to her question in the negative "Unless he has kept it secret from me and we have a very open friendship, I have never known him to act like a child in the way you're describing. Look can you tell me where you live, and I can come to collect him" after discussing addresses and distance they worked out it would take him till tomorrow evening to arrive. Arrangements made they finalised the call. Marne sat on the sofa, unsure of how she felt. She was glad that his brother wanted to come to get him, to return him to his family. However, she was also realised she would miss him once he was gone.

Later that evening, Henry was sitting in the living room. Spread out in front of him was an array of coloured blocks which he was carefully arranging into a city. Marnie was in the kitchen getting spaghetti bolognas started when the doorbell rang. She walked to the door and opened it a smile broadening on her face, "Joshie" laughter bubbled out of her sisters' mouth "well I can see who the favourite is, sorry to just drop by unannounced but worked called and they can't get anyone else. Can Josh stay with you till tomorrow tonight?" she stepped out on to the veranda to explain the situation to her sister without Henry hearing.

"I have a friend staying Judy, he is young in his mindset. I'm not worried as long as you are ok." Judy pursed her lips then countered "I'm ok if you are, just don't leave them alone k" nodding she knelt down in front of Josh speaking in a calm voice "Hey Joshie, I have a friend who is staying with me. He looks like a grown-up, he is tall and big, but he thinks he is three years old. So, you would be older than him." She could see the four-year-old was trying to process what she said, "So he ikes to pway, an watch canoons?" chuckling as she thought about how easy it was for a child to see the best of a situation, not judging as older peers would. She smiled broadly at him and said, "yes honey, in fact, he is playing blocks in the living room right now" Reaching for his hand she held it giving her sister a side hug before she ran off to the car.

They waved at the door and then walked inside.

A/N Thank you for reading, I post as I write with no real timelines but this one is flowing at the moment so I hope to keep going steadily. As always votes and comments are welcome :) Selah