Chapter 37

Elizabeth and Sacajawea leave the Bunker at seven in the morning. They have the first job of the raid, and the success of the day hinges on them.

Marie hands Elizabeth a flash drive that will test Crew's system to see if the virus Jo installed has corrupted the security protocols inside the Chrysalis. Marie is confident that anyone with Throwback DNA will be able to enter, but she might have to go inside to override the security measures in place that would kill anyone with Evolved DNA.

"Don't come in too early," Elizabeth commands for the third time. "I need to tag our allies inside the rebellion so that they aren't arrested along with the rest of Crew's team. I've arranged to meet them early, so we won't draw Crew's attention."

"Got it," I bark, already chafing at my new, demoted role on the team.

"Have your allies stick one of these on the underside of their wrists," Marie instructs, handing Elizabeth a page of tiny circular stickers equipped with embedded sensors. "We'll all be wearing them, so that the police can quickly differentiate us from Crew's team."

"Thank you," Elizabeth says, sticking one on her wrist.

"Be careful in there," I tell her as she and Sacajawea head toward the exit to the Bunker.

Elizabeth surprises me by gripping my hand in a tight squeeze. "You too. You've made your mistakes, but I, for one, can forgive them if we take this rebellion down today. A lot of innocent lives will be saved."

"Thank you," I say, and she gives my hand one last, firm shake before she leaves.

I turn back to the oversized tablet displaying our plans, blueprints, and footage from cameras near the Chrysalis.

"Are we sure that Crew and most of his team will be in there?" I ask.

Leo looks up from where he's monitoring the security feed from the camera we hid near the underground entrance to the Chrysalis. "Our software has identified over three hundred members of the rebellion entering the building early this morning, including Crew."

I let out a heavy breath of relief. After today, our battle with Crew will truly be over.

"Uh, Joan, come here," Tupac says, and I follow him into the large communal bathroom next to the sleeping quarters.

Inside, Nic is asleep with his head on the toilet bowl. I'm so angry that I could kick him, but I rein it in.

"Let's get you to bed," I say, hauling him to his feet.

"Sorry, Joanie. I did a bad thing," Nic says.

He rubs his eyes, and I catch a glimpse of gold. My anger hardens into rage.

"I found Mason's Amp stash. I meant to throw it out. I tried," he babbles.

"Sleep it off. We'll talk later," I say, yanking him out of the bathroom and toward a bed.

"Don't be mad, Joanie! I love you!"

I bite the inside of my cheek so hard that I draw blood. With practiced efficiency, I help him slide under the covers and tuck the blankets around him tightly. There's no time to give him an IV to flush the Amp out of his system now.

"Enjoy the high while it lasts," I say, and he whimpers at the bitterness in my tone.

"My heart is broken," he murmurs, and my hands freeze where they are, plumping his pillow. "I don't deserve you. I never should have tried."

Jo comes into the room and stands beside me. She heaves a sigh as she looks down at Nic. "Leave him. He is broken, and the pieces cannot be fit back together today."