Chapter 29

Without Leo, or Justus, or Nic, or anyone else from the Bunker or Aft's team to interrupt us, Aft and I have our first real conversation about how to combine our efforts—after I text Harriet to let her know where I am.

"End all contact with Strand, today," Aft insists for the hundredth time.

"Then we make a powerful enemy. And lose their resources," I remind him, frustrated at making this argument yet again.

"How much use has Strand been to you thus far?"

He has a point, but I won't give up any ground. "Our first goal is to take Crew down so we can refocus on Throwback rights. We're more likely to get Strand to be the muscle behind a raid on the Chrysalis than the police. The longer this Evolved–Throwback standoff continues, the more bitter both sides will become."

"Wait too long to accept that Strand is poison, and they will siphon off your people, killing them or using them, until your team is in shambles."

I consider his point. "What if I promise to cut off contact within a certain timeframe? If they refuse to help us take down the Chrysalis in the next two months, we'll leave the Bunker, cut off contact with Strand, and start over. With you, if you'll have us."

Aft tilts his head, considering my words. "Two weeks. Strand has two weeks to prove useful, or I will consider you and your team another enemy on our list."

"One month. And you take Justus back, regardless."

"That goes without saying," Aft says, stiffening. "He is my son, and though his choices disappoint me, my love for him is unconditional. He'll find his way back to what is right."

"He's your biggest advocate in the Bunker. In all decisions."

Aft's face softens. "He's a good boy. I know."

"So we have a deal? For one month, we work together and try to harness Strand's power for our own ends."

I reach for Aft's hand, and he extends his own in return. I can already picture Justus's face when he finds out that we're no longer at odds with his dad.

Finally, Throwbacks are coming together, instead of wasting time fighting each other. A glimmer of a bigger, broader success is visible. Locking up Crew will ease my conscience, but focusing on equality for all Throwbacks will give me the purpose that I've been searching for.

Jackson escorts me back to the Lab, even though I assure Aft that I'm fine on my own. Eventually, I'll have to talk to him about scaling back his paternal attitude, but that's for another day.

Inside the Bunker, people are crammed into every corner, but the noise is subdued. I make my way to our little clinic to check on Jo and Alison.

Flo greets me with a finger to her lips when I peek in. Jo is passed out on a cot in the corner. Alison is sitting on an exam table, and Justus is applying cream to some fading bruises on her back.

"Well done today," I say from the doorway and am rewarded with a flash of her dazzling smile.

"Best day of my life. Any more Evolved pricks you need me to beat down?"

"Tupac must be so proud," I tease, and she blushes.

"He's probably going to yell at you for sending me into danger, but you tell him to fuck off."

"Good. That was my plan, anyway."

Justus chuckles, but doesn't turn around.

"Where have you been all this time?" Alison asks.

"With Aft," I reply, and Justus finally turns.

His eyes scan me and stop on a gash on my forearm from my climb out of the psychiatric clinic. "You're hurt," he says as he walks over to me.