Chapter 25

Back at the Bunker, Nic is barking orders at Alison and Tupac, who are flagging sites on a map of Seattle where Crew's team has been spotted recently. When he sees me, he flushes.

He looks more put-together than usual, with his hair lightly gelled and his shirt freshly washed.

Shit.

It's date night. Part of me has toyed with bailing on my promise, but every time Nic and I meet up for a lesson in self-defense, he turns into a bundle of hope and nerves. I can't bring myself to back out.

"Have fun," Harriet says in a high, sing-song voice, clearly enjoying my discomfort.

Nic approaches me, pulling on his collar like it's trying to strangle him. "Ready?"

"Should I change first?" I ask, looking down at my worn jeans.

Nic smiles, and a little of his tension fades. "Not on my account. I wouldn't change a thing."

Behind Nic's back, Marie makes an "awwww" face. I'd slug her if she were closer.

"So where are you taking me?" Nic asks with a little of his usual mischief. "Better be somewhere nice if you want me to put out later."

"You're serious? I'm in charge of tonight's agenda?"

Nic shrugs. "Take me somewhere important to you, and I'll do the same."

The night is only beginning, and already he's surprised me. I like having the chance to direct this date, instead of being towed along.

"It's on. Cover up your lavaliere and let's go."

Nic's eyes flash with interest as he follows me out of the Lab.

"You were raised as a Throwback, right?" I ask.

"Deep on the wrong side of the tracks," he confirms.

"Time for you to experience how the other half lives."

"Not to piss on your petunias, but I've gone out incognito before, lots of times."

I grin. "Not like this."

I take Nic to the fanciest Evolved shopping mall in Seattle, which takes up three city blocks. Nic tries to act casual as we approach the fancy glass doors of the entrance, but he's way too quiet to be comfortable.

I slip my hand in his to distract him, and it works. His tense expression morphs into surprise as we pass the doorman, who doesn't look twice as we sail into forbidden territory.

Glass elevators shoot us to the top floor of the mall, where all the food stalls are located. Nic's fingers tighten around my hand, and I realize that I don't want to let go.

I tug him off the elevator, and the heady aroma of cooked food perfumes the air.

"No food dispensers allowed in this mall," I explain. "People come from all over the city to eat here. The chefs at each stall make one dish a night, and you can take it or leave it."

"But a fancy dispenser can make anything, way cheaper," Nic says, mystified. "Why not get exactly what you want?"

"The Evolved like it when experts tell them what they should like to eat. And maybe they're right on this one."

"I hope you brought cash, big spender, because all this cooked food must cost a fortune."

I smile. "That's the best part. We're eating for free."

Nic watches as I turn on my brightest, most confident smile and approach a stall selling Italian food. All of the stalls have loaded sample plates to tempt Evolved shoppers. This one has meatballs covered in tomato sauce. I pop two in my mouth and wink at the chef, who shakes his head indulgently.