Chapter 39

Nic doesn't let me out of his sight. We don't speak of why he follows me everywhere, even hovering by the doorway when I use the bathroom. I have two days to figure out how to evade him, and a horrible, but effective idea has already taken root in my mind.

Sleep is a stranger for most of us that night, so we have an early breakfast of old cereal that's several months out of date. It's a gift from Lady Cleo, who fled Seattle with her family to keep them safe, but sent assurances that she still stands with us in spirit.

"I'm coming with you to meet with the governor and the Evolved police," Nic says after we're done.

It's a struggle not to roll my eyes. "Harriet and Mason will be there to babysit. Do something useful for Marie."

Nic winces at the bitterness in my tone. We also haven't spoken of his binge on Amp. Given my plans for the next few days, it's probably a conversation we'll never have, now. The cynical part of me thinks that, for Nic, there will be no recovery from his Amp addiction. It's his crutch, and every time life deals him a blow, he'll let his mind get obliterated until he eventually overdoses. I'm glad I won't have to watch his self-destruction.

"I'm coming," he insists, his expression unreadable.

I shrug. This isn't when I'm planning to make my getaway, so his presence doesn't make a difference.

Harriet drives us to the governor's townhouse. Mason sits next to her in the front seat, and they grip each other's hands. Nic stares at them with so much longing that I turn my gaze out the window.

"The kids are our first priority," Harriet says as we get out of the van.

"Agreed," I say.

This meeting is critical, because it is the final gift I can give my best friend. I trust E, and I trust that there are many other Evolved like her who want to do the right thing. Harriet will need them after I'm gone in order to achieve real change.

E answers the door herself, her face drawn.

"Thank you for coming," she says, shaking each of our hands.

"Are the kids safe?" Harriet asks, her expression stony.

E's eyebrows lift in surprise. "Yes. As we agreed, the children will be dropped off at the GPS coordinates you provided by noon today."

Harriet's expression softens, but I know she won't fully believe E until she sees those kids for herself.

"If they decide that they would like to be permanently placed with the families they stayed with, would you be open to that arrangement?" E asks Harriet.

It's Harriet's turn to look surprised. "They're happy in the Lab. We take care of them."

E's tone is gentle when she replies. "It's due to you and your friends that those children are alive, fed, and given schooling. Without the structure you gave them, many would be dead or in jail. But I can also see that they are not properly nourished. They lack a stable home environment. The jobs they are eligible for will be limited. I can provide safe homes for these children."

"They are safe!" Mason says.

Harriet squeezes his hand to calm him. "Maybe she can find a place for Benen, if he's willing."

The fight instantly drains out of Mason, and he nods.

Harriet turns back to E. "If the kids in the Lab want to join foster families, they can. But it has to be their choice, and there must be oversight for the homes they are placed in. These kids have endured the worst kinds of abuse, and I won't see them forced into anything they don't want."