Chapter 3

Justus keeps his rage leashed until we are underground in the Lab. Once we're out of public view, he leans against the ancient wall of a tunnel several blocks from Tressa's building.

"I failed. I misread her completely when I watched her show. That never happens to me," Justus growls.

"She manipulated you. She makes a living interrogating her subjects."

"You don't understand. I'm not brilliant like Marie, or strategic like Sun, or a leader like you. But I've always been able to read people, work a room. Today, I didn't make a dent in her arguments. If anything, I became the poster child for Evolved superiority."

"I feel you on that, Justus, I do. As the girl who helped a madman execute nine people in one night, I've had a few lessons in humility dealt to me lately too. Welcome to the human condition."

His large, warm hand shoots out and envelops mine. "How do you find the exact right words sometimes?"

"By saying the stupidest things the rest of the time."

Justus steps closer. "Thank you."

My body sways closer to his, like my hormones are directing my movements instead of my brain. But before I can rest my head on his chest, Justus pulls away. The careful distance he always keeps between us returns, physically and emotionally.

A shriek pierces the darkness, but before I can panic, the scream dissolves into giggles as Maverick leaps onto my back. His hair is a messy tangle of curls that are long enough to hide his warm brown eyes. Seeing the smile on his face eases the guilt that churns in my gut at the memory that I murdered his father. Mav is better off without the man who neglected him and hid him from his mother.

"Save me, Joan! Jin and Blu are gonna lock me up!"

"Good thing I brought my trusty sword, in that case," I say, drawing my imaginary blade from its sheath. "Come forward, villains!"

Blu and Jin come charging around the corner. They're both Mac clone types who are around eleven years old, but Blu's left hand is covered in burn scars that continue up under his sleeve.

The next few minutes are a breathless, giggly battle between Mav, Blu, Jin, and me, while Justus shouts encouragement to both sides.

Finally, the boys are out of breath from laughing, and the battle ends. Another decisive victory for Joan the Maid if I may say.

After Mav catches his breath, he leaps to a brand new topic. "Me and Jin had an idea for how we can be heroes, like you. We're going to give you a real army. Almost all the kids down here are signing up to join the Bunker team and make the world good again."

"You want to be our knights?"

"Yes!" Blu shouts, while Jin and Mav squeal agreement.

Justus shoots me a worried look, and I barely repress a roll of my eyes.

"True soldiers take orders from their general, even if they don't agree with the rules. Will you do that?"

"Long as the general is you, Joan," Mav says with wide, trusting eyes.

I nod solemnly. "What I need most is for you to get your butts back to the schoolroom to learn to read. Math too."

"What? Nooooooooo," Jin whines.

"Boooooooring," Blu agrees.

Mav's eyes search my face. "Why?"

"How can you help me if you can't add up numbers to order supplies, or read directions if I send you messages? Soldiers have to train their minds first, and bodies second."