Chapter 31

I'm on my way from my dorm over to the Little Theater when Professor Wilde accosts me.

"You've got your wish. Or perhaps called in a favor with the governor?" Professor Wilde says, his tone sour.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, ready to smack the condescension off his face.

"Classes are cancelled due to rising violence in the city, by order of the governor."

"I didn't ask her to do that, but I'm not sorry," I reply, already turning away from him.

Behind me, I hear a loud, dramatic sigh. "And perhaps you had a point the other day about seeing past the mundane realities of the day-to-day and reaching for the stars."

I turn and give him a smile. "You know, we could use your help. It would keep you occupied while your school is shut down."

"Perhaps I could speak to a few influential friends about the court case that you and Sun have been cultivating."

It's hard to think past the next battle, but Professor Wilde is right not to lose focus on our end goal. "The lawyers we hired are doubtful that we can find a judge sympathetic to Throwback rights."

"Nonsense. They simply need the right inspirational monologue. And perhaps a little coaching on how to deliver it."

"Sounds like you've found a job for yourself without my help."

He nods, and for once, drops his affected demeanor. "It may make me a coward, but I cannot watch as you, or any of my students, race into battle. Watching even one of you die would kill me. But I am grateful that you children are doing what must be done, risking your lives to create a better world."

"Thank you, Professor."

He gives my arm a squeeze and strides away. I hurry to the Little Theater, which is full of my growing team, because the Bunker is too cramped for everyone to work in comfortably. We've spread out in the classrooms where we once practiced stagecraft, acting, dancing, and music.

Lady Cleo considers her classroom command central. She's overseeing a group of six students as they pore over the blueprints to the Chrysalis, assessing the best escape routes. Elizabeth and Sacajawea are among them, pointing out the locations of the armories, tech centers, and offices of key leaders.

"We need a way to tag allies that I've found inside of the Chrysalis," Elizabeth says. "There are a lot of people who are scared and looking for a way out. They're not all zealots trying to take over the world."

"This raid will be for nothing if Crew and his inner circle aren't caught and arrested," I argue.

"His inner circle, yes. And there are hundreds of others who believe in his cause, and would kill for it. But there are also students recruited from Seattle Secondary over the past few years who are too scared to leave the rebellion. With good reason, because Crew would kill them."

"Work with Marie and see if there is a way that they can be identified as innocent when we raid the Chrysalis. I'll talk to the governor to explain the situation so they aren't arrested with the others."

"Good."

Shouting from the hall interrupts our conversation. Justus and Nic rush in, and their twin expressions of terror make my stomach cramp. Harriet is on their heels, every muscle in her face tense with worry.

"Mav and Jin were picked up by the National Guard," Justus says. "Blu managed to sneak away to tell us."

Before Justus has finished his sentence, I'm pinging the governor with a message. A holographic image of her appears.