Chapter 16

After a week of dodging classes at Seattle Secondary, Harriet and I decide to show up. It's time to accept Professor Wilde's help, even if that means trusting him, before Evolved and Throwbacks descend into civil war.

But when we enter the Little Theater and make our way to Remedial Acting, our zany new professor is nowhere to be seen. Instead, hulking over a podium on the small stage is Crew.

Standing behind him, like a bodyguard, is Rob. The last time I saw Rob, he was spattered with the blood of the Evolved man he murdered on Circe Night. Crew must have freed him when he and his team stormed the Evolved police station. Rob is much thinner than he was when I saw him last, and from the way the bones in his hands stick out at odd angles, it's clear that the police broke them over and over and refused to let them heal properly.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, keeping the waver in my knees from showing up in my voice.

How did he know we'd show up to class today? Is Sun right? Is there still a spy in the Bunker, communicating my movements to Crew?

Crew's eyes are almost black in the dim light. "I've allowed you and your teenage rebellion because I loved Jo, and you are nearly a daughter to her. But it's time someone taught you obedience."

"Run," I whisper to Harriet.

"Too late," she replies, positioning herself so that we're back-to-back.

Two shadows have slipped behind us, blocking our path back out the door. Mary's and Sal's faces are blank, but their eyes betray their eagerness for our blood.

"Your band of idealists has been a nuisance that I've foolishly indulged, hoping to win your love instead of commanding your compliance. But now you are on the brink of becoming a threat, and that will not stand."

"We're already a threat," I counter. "You have a whole bunch of weapons from the raid of the Evolved police station and a bunch of crazy Throwback mobs. But we have the power of Strand behind us, and, most important, justice is on our side."

"Justice? On your side?" Rob spits. "You helped Dr. Rodriguez escape the justice he deserved. The man you saved as Strand's errand girl was guilty of murdering hundreds of Throwback babies! We were on the brink of ending that sick fuck's life, and taking his entire department down with him so that such an atrocity would never be repeated."

"I didn't miss your theatrics," I growl at him, but my stomach twists at his words.

"We have proof of Dr. Rodriguez's crimes," Mary says coolly. "He's been quietly retiring 'defective' Throwback babies for decades on Strand's behalf. That's who you're partnering with."

I push Rob's and Mary's words out of my mind. This is psychological warfare. They want to throw me off my game. It has to be, because if there is an ounce of truth to their words, I'll crumple.

I speak only to Crew. "You may not see it yet, but the final chapter of your sick attempt to spread terror across Seattle is already being written. No one on my team will ever support you, even if your threats are real."

Crew steps off the stage, coming closer. "Do you think that all of my people were loyal to me from the beginning? Joseph attempted to assassinate me and take my place as leader of the revolution a week after Circe Night. Mary stole weapons from the armory last year. Sal succeeded in slicing the tendon of one of my generals, leaving him with a limp that will last for life."

I swallow my desire to make a sarcastic remark to mask my fear. A muscle is twitching in Crew's temple, and it won't take much to push him over the edge.

"I hear you, Crew. You think you can control the most dangerous of us," I reply, hoping that soothing his ego will calm him down.

Crew's fist flies into my gut, and I fall to my knees.