Chapter 8

After an endless day of classes, it's a relief to slip into the dark chill of the Lab. Wrenching open the door of the Bunker, I find Nic and Marie reading the news on holo-tablets, Sun examining the physical books in our mini library, and Harriet, Mason, and Justus eating dinner.

It's the perfect opportunity to talk to the people I trust most all at once. "I really, really hate admitting this, but there's no way we're going to take down Crew without some serious help. And the only one with the clout we need who's offering to help us is Strand."

I've got everyone's attention.

"Jo paid us a visit," Harriet adds. "She thinks that we should see if we can entice Crew to attack Strand, in hopes that either he or Strand suffers a heavy loss."

"Crew would lose quickly if he chose that path," Sun says, lifting his eyes from his book. "Which is why there is no way he would take it."

Marie lets out a long breath. "Teaming up with Strand might be the best option. They have the resources we need to turn the tide of our effort against Crew."

"Sounds like a deal with the devil," Nic says, biting the inside of his cheek. "Strand will use us to take down Crew, and then destroy us. Maybe our families too."

"Unless we use our time at Strand to do some digging on Lexi and her organization," Sun suggests. "We can use the information we find as leverage if she attempts to stab us in the back."

"That's if we find anything," Justus says.

Nic snorts. "Not everyone is as noble as you, Captain America. It's Strand. We'll find plenty if we look hard enough."

"There's another, safer option," Mason pipes up. "We could team up with Justus's dad. He has resources too."

"Then why isn't he doing anything to stop Crew already?" Nic snaps.

"Hold on," I interrupt. "There's no downside to having more allies."

Justus smiles, but I know he won't like what I'm about to say next.

"But Sun's right too. Teaming up with Strand is a chance to destroy Crew and then take Strand down from the inside."

"Because taking them down from the inside worked out so well for you last time," Justus mutters, and I shoot him an annoyed glance.

"It's a strategy worth considering," Harriet interjects, ever the mediator.

"Now is the time to negotiate with Lexi," Sun says. "Strand has been getting negative publicity since the attacks on Circe Night. She needs to end Crew's threat quickly before the government decides to put stricter rules around their cloning practices."

"This morning, she was ripped apart during a press briefing," Nic adds. "She needs something concrete to show that she's making progress against Crew and that not all Throwbacks are a threat."

"Let's reach out to her and accept," Marie says.

"Agreed," Harriet says.

"But we've got to keep this decision private, so word doesn't get back to Crew," Mason adds.

"Here's hoping the traitor isn't among us," Justus says darkly, which is out of character for him.

He shoots Nic a glare, leaving no doubt in my mind who he suspects. But my gut tells me that Nic's loyalty to me—to our cause—is absolute.

The door to the Bunker opens, and we all stop talking. Mav slips inside, with Leo at his heels. I toss Mav a candy bar from across the room, and he catches it, grinning.

Leo's eyes move from face to face, like he can guess that we were talking about something important before he arrived.

"I followed your advice, Joan!" Mav squeaks, excited. "I used my brain, and I'm teaching the other kids how to do it too."