Chapter 22

Returning to class at Seattle Secondary is like visiting a foreign country I used to live in. For one intense summer, this was my whole world. My world is much bigger now.

Inside the Costumes and Makeup classroom, Lady Cleo is organizing costumes. We agreed to meet here to avoid raising eyebrows. Even though she and a few other teachers are official supporters of my team, they rarely stop by the Bunker like Leo does. Too many Seattle Secondary teachers slipping into the Lab on a regular basis would definitely be noticed by Crew's team.

"As you suggested, I've quietly been speaking to students about where they stand on how to handle the growing unrest in Seattle," Lady Cleo says in a low, dramatic whisper, clearly enjoying the idea of a clandestine meeting to plot the remaking of our world order.

"Any luck?"

She raises her eyebrows. "Luck has nothing to do with it. Every student with an ounce of moral fiber knows what must be done."

"So how many people did you recruit?"

"All of them," Lady Cleo says with a dramatic flourish. "Every last student remaining in your class has expressed a wish to support our cause, Joan."

Groping blindly for a chair, I sit down. It's been a while since news that surprised me was good. My throat is tight with emotion.

"Of course, a few bad eggs have left our esteemed institution to join Crew's band of ruffians. They are no longer welcome in my class or at this school."

"You kicked them out?"

"With Professor Wilde's support, they were expelled," Lady Cleo announces. "This school is now in full support of you and your team."

"Can Professor Wilde do that?"

Lady Cleo releases a loud, rich laugh. "Certainly. It is a private institution, and he purchased it, with some help from his Evolved friends in public office."

My mind reels with the knowledge that Professor Wilde is more than acting headmaster. He's the owner of this institution. He must have pockets far deeper than any Throwback I've ever heard of to be able to afford it.

"Why is he so interested in this place? A training school for Throwbacks can't be that great of an investment," I muse.

"He understands the importance of creating great art. We are in good hands, now. If I were that man's type, I would bring him to my bed."

Ick.

Reeling Lady Cleo back in, I place my hand on her arm. "Thank you, ma'am. Now we can be more than a bunch of kids huddled underground all the time. We can use the school's equipment, connections... We have a platform for our message."

Her eyes shine. "I knew your clone predecessor, Jo Macson. You are her superior in every way."

Students begin trickling into class, and they eye us.

"May I have permission to use your class to speak to everyone?"

Lady Cleo cocks her head. "At the end of this time of crisis, everyone here will still need a skill to fall back on to earn a living. My class remains essential for that purpose, and Professor Wilde agrees. However, I will reserve fifteen minutes at the end of class for you to speak your piece."

It's an effort to contain my frustration. Lady Cleo turns away from me to adjust the lighting in the room, but not before I catch the wry smile on her lips. She's aware that I planned to skip her three-hour lecture after talking to the students. She and Professor Wilde are probably in cahoots to keep me from skipping too many classes.