Chapter 26

Nic kisses me goodnight in front of my dorm before returning to the Bunker to sleep. It's tempting to find out how much better making out would be in a real bed, but considering how many times Harriet found Alison and Tupac screwing in her room, she might kill me if she found me doing the same thing with Nic.

Instead, I watch Nic from the lobby of my dorm until he's out of sight, and then take the elevator up to my floor, reliving my first kiss the entire way up. The leftover thrill from our encounter is instantly snuffed out when I see Justus camped out by my door, drawing on his red sneakers with a permanent black marker. He immediately jumps up when he sees me.

A little guilt, like I betrayed him, tries to creep in at the edges of my consciousness, but I stomp it out.

"Why are you here, Justus?" I ask, unlocking my door so we can talk in private.

Couldn't Kat help him with whatever drama he has going on now?

I stomp that ungenerous thought out of my head too.

"I gave those Throwback journalists, Nellie and Ida, my story. Elizabeth pinged me that it's gone live, but I'm scared to watch it," he admits.

"If you messed up, Elizabeth would have hunted you down and frozen your heart with an icy glare by now. We'd be planning your memorial."

Justus grins. "Maybe. But my family, my friends, and everyone in the Bunker is going to see this, and I'm scared they'll be offended. Again. It's such a pathetic, selfish worry, when Crew is out there slaughtering people and the Evolved National Guard is rounding up Throwbacks to retire. But there it is."

"Addie told me not to forget to live my life every now and then. Sometimes, you're allowed to be a teenager with regular fears without judging yourself."

"I knew you'd understand," Justus says, sitting next to me on my bed.

I open my tablet, and Justus takes me to Nellie's vlog. Justus's interview is given a prime spot in a pinned post at the top of her page. It's also about ten minutes longer than her other posts.

Nellie speaks first. "Today, I'm sharing a story outside of our usual content. I've decided to give Justus Macson, Evolved by blood, raised by Throwbacks, the chance to share his unvarnished story with this audience. I believe he is a true advocate for the Throwback community. His blood may be Evolved, but his heart is cloned."

"She must really like you," I whisper to Justus.

He's gripping the edge of the bed, white-knuckled, but at my words, his hands relax.

Nellie launches into her questions for Justus, and she gives him enough time to explain himself when he gets nervous. She artfully extracts the truth about Justus's upbringing, and his discovery that his DNA is Evolved.

"In a future episode, Ida will be expanding on this longstanding tactic by the government to implant Evolved children in Throwback homes. When they are success stories proving the "superiority" of Evolved DNA, the accounts of their childhoods are made very public. Those who do not rise above their peers are quietly sent to other countries," Nellie interjects.

"Those sneaky bastards! You can bet Strand is in on that plan, too," I say.

Justus hushes me as the focus returns to his story. Nellie gives him a chance to discuss the threats posed by Crew and how to take him down, and his pleas for moderate Evolved and Throwbacks to join forces. Justus's words are simple, eloquent.

When the vlog ends, Justus falls back on my bed.

"You've found your voice," I say.

"At least the truth is out there," Justus says. "Now, I can get some real work done."