Chapter 35

In spite of Flo's assurances about Aft's well-being, it takes two days before he's awake for more than a meal or a trip to the bathroom. We insist that he stay in the Bunker, and Justus goes to his childhood home every night to help his mom take care of his brothers and sister.

I'm doing inventory in the clinic when Aft sits up on the cot that Flo set up for him in the corner of the room. I send Justus a message to let him know his dad is awake.

"How long was I asleep this time?" Aft asks.

"Twelve hours," I reply.

He shoots straight up. "Next time, let me heal the old-fashioned way, with time and a painkiller. That incubus has sucked the life out of me."

"You wouldn't be saying that if your arm and ribs were still broken," I point out.

"Maybe," he grumbles.

"It was nice to take care of you, for a change," I say, and his irritation eases.

"Dad, you're up," Justus says, skidding into the room. "You had Mom and me worried."

"This old Throwback body won't wear out so easily," Aft says. "I'm so proud of you, son. I know how hard it was to swallow your anger in front of that police officer, but you played within the rules and you saved me. A good lesson for all of you."

Harriet comes into the room in time to hear Aft's little speech. "He's definitely doing better if he can take his beating and turn it into a lesson."

"I couldn't have done it if Officer Davies hadn't been on our side," Justus says. "He's one of the good Evolved."

Harriet keeps her eyes trained on the floor.

"The governor is going to promote him to sergeant of the Evolved police later this week," I add, still watching Harriet. "She's another one of the good Evolved. They do exist."

"Of course they exist!" Aft says with a snort, oblivious to Harriet's discomfort. "I find your Evolved parents much more reasonable than any of the Throwbacks in this Bunker. No offense meant, Joan."

"Now how could I possibly take offense to that?" I ask, and Aft returns my smile.

We've come a long way from bitter debates and slammed doors.

"I think you have babied me long enough. My wife will want her turn now," he says.

"I'll drive you home," Justus says.

Justus and his dad leave, and I gently reach for Harriet's arm.

"How is your hand? Are you still in pain?"

Harriet's face is carefully neutral. "Nothing that can't be managed."

"I miss your friendship."

"I will not be both your friend and your chess piece. You betrayed us all, but I admit that I was hurt more than the others. We've always strategized together."

"I'm sorry I hurt you. But even if you disagree with my decision, don't you think there are times when a leader has to make an executive decision? Not everything is up for a vote."

"I think Throwbacks have had enough of others making decisions for them. Better to err on the side of too much consensus than not enough."

"Maybe," I acknowledge, but in my heart, I can't regret putting Harriet's safety above her approval.

Our conversation is interrupted when Nic comes into the clinic, half-carrying a stumbling Mason behind him.

"What's happened?" Harriet demands.