9: Palace

Avery Falls, a small village that occupied about ten thousand Werewolves, was surrounded on three sides by a river about one mile from the sea and was dominated by Avery Palace. The main street, called Palace Street, located at the bottom of the hill, lied the centre of the village nestled around the market place and temple. In this village centre there were numerous colorful houses, cafes, restaurants, and shops. The palace stood on the hilltop above the main street which dominated the skyline of the village.

We made it to the small bridge that led to the front gate of the palace. There were two men guarding the entrance, so I told Devin to hang back as I walked the bridge to approach the two men.

"I'm here to see the Alpha King and Queen." I said confidently when I approached them.

"Do you have an appointment?" One of them asked.

"No, but they'll want to see me when they know who I am. I'm Alpha Prince Logan Avery."

The guards' eyes widen as they looked at each other, but then looked back at me. They started laughing.

"Yeah, sure kid. Take a hike," one of them said as they shoved me on the shoulder with their hand. Typically I would be angered by someone putting their hands on me, but I knew they were just doing their job. I stepped away and walked back to Devin at the start of the bridge.

"What happened?" Dev asked with a confused look on his face.

"We did know they weren't going to believe me, but lets go, I know a way in. I use to sneak out a lot as a kid." Devin grinned at my last statement.

We made our way to one of the sides of the palace walls and there was a grate on the ground blocked by a shrub. I went behind the shrub and after three hard pulls, I got it open. The grate was big enough for us to get into. We left our duffles hidden behind other shrubs. I climbed into the grate, down the ladder, and through a short shaft channel which led to another grate. I knew Devin was following behind as I heard him close the grate and heard his footsteps. I climbed up the ladder, pushed on the grate once, and it opened. I climbed out of the ground and as I stood up, I was in the small hedge maze by a small gazebo that was located by the large garden. Once Devin was out of the ground, we quietly closed the grate.

"Once we're out of this maze, we have to make it inside through the garden entrance without being spotted or else... prepare for a fight." Devin nodded with determination in his eyes.

We quietly walked through the maze, avoiding the cameras as I still remembered where each one was located. When we made it to the exit of the maze, we watched as there were only four guards in the area, but there were two garden workers around.

"Dev, stay here. I'll go alone and if anything happens—"

"I've got your back." Devin finished my sentence and nodded.

I crouched low as I moved out of the maze. Luckily there were small trees at the front of the maze that I could hide behind. But the problem came when there was no covering from the trees to the palace door.

"Do or die." I whispered to myself. That was my motto for everything I did in life.

I decided at that moment, my only option was to shift as the palace was four hundred meters away. I took my sneakers, shorts, and shirt off and shifted into my dark brown wolf behind the trees. The second I saw that the guards and the workers weren't looking my direction, I sprinted out of the trees and straight to the palace.