12: Firstborn

I took a step back from Amira. She had electrocuted me again, but this time she didn't make it as powerful as earlier. I rubbed on my abdomen where she shocked me.

Amira quickly walked away from me, to the entrance of her home, without a word. I walked inside and found Savannah and Devin at the kitchen table eating and chatting. They seemed to both be enjoying each other's company.

Amira was nowhere to be seen.

"Bro, you're finally back." Devin said when he noticed me. "Loge, you need to try out Savannah's quesadillas."

I shook my head amused. "Glad to see you doing good."

Devin rolled his eyes, "That was nothing."

I took a seat at the table. "Sure didn't seem like nothing."

Devin shrugged, "No big deal." He shook his head like a wet dog. "But... not a great feeling."

"Where's Amira? I didn't hear her come in." Savannah asked.

"She did come in." I replied.

"Oh." Savannah started to head out the kitchen. "I'll go check if she's hungry. You two, help yourselves to the quesadillas."

Devin had a goofy smile on his face as Savannah walked away. He stared at me with a look I couldn't decipher. "So... what happened?"

"The Witches aren't the ones that want me dead." I answered.

"No, what happened between you two?" He wiggled his eyebrows. "You look like a lost puppy, dude. So I ask again, what happened? First girl to reject you." Devin lightly chuckled.

I glared at him, not saying anything. "Oh shit! She did!"

"Shut your mouth, Dev." I warned as I heard Savannah's footsteps returning. She came back alone and I felt a bit disappointed.

"Where's Amira?" Devin asked at a smiling Savannah.

Savannah frowned a bit. "She's not hungry, she isn't feeling well."

Devin stared at me again with his stupidly annoying smirk.

***

Devin and I made it back to the palace by late afternoon. The sun was still out and a light breeze was hitting us. When we got to the front door of the palace, past the gates, my father was outside talking to someone. As we walked up the steps, I knew who it was.

"Uncle Leo?"

Leonardo Avery. What can I say about what I remember of him. Oh yeah! As a kid I always tried my best to get him to like me. I got along well with every member of my family, but him. He never smiled and never wanted to play. He always seemed bored and spoke in monotone. I wondered if any of that had changed throughout the years.

He turned when he heard me, his face expressionless. "So it's true, you're alive."

Nope! Nothing had changed.

My father smiled at me, "My boy, you've finally returned." He put his arm around my shoulders and we walked inside. "Leonardo here, came because he wanted to see you."

"Devin would you give us a moment." My father said it as a statement, not a question.

"No problem, Alpha King. I'll guess I'll be up in my room." He walked inside, ahead of us.

"We have some things to talk about, son." My father said and I nodded.

We headed inside, straight to my father's study. We sat down on the chairs, I sat next to my father and Uncle Leo sat across from us.

My father spoke first, "We have to discuss your future."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"You're turning twenty-one in a couple of months. Which means..." he took a pause to stare at Uncle Leo for a second, then back at me. "It's time for you to take the throne and eventually find a she-wolf to marry."

I flinched my head back at hearing this. "What? I'm not ready for that yet!"

"I agree. This boy knows nothing about being a King." Uncle Leo almost shouted when he said this. "I am to be King."

"That is no longer happening," My father said raising his voice. "It's tradition that the firstborn son take the throne when turning twenty-one, Leonardo. And we must keep with tradition."

Uncle Leo stood up from his seat. "Avery Falls will be ruined with an unfit King and the rest of the world will follow," he said before he walked out.

I was quiet throughout their exchange of words. My father and I stood up from our seats and started walking through the halls of the castle.

"Don't mind your uncle."

"Why did he say he is to be King?" I asked my father.

"I told him he would be King once he had an heir." He took a deep breath. "I have denied these last ten years that you were gone forever, but it wasn't until I realized you're twenty first birthday was nearing that I finally accepted it."

We turned a corner, continuing the conversation. "I decided I was going to step down like it was meant to be when you turned twenty-one. We needed an heir to continue passing down the throne."

He stopped walking, gently grabbed my shoulder and with the other hand he lightly patted me on the face. "But Logan, it is your birth right to be King." The look in his eyes intensified, "And you will be King."

I nodded. "But first we have to find out who wants me dead and it's not the Witches." We made it to the family room where my mother was, "Also, can we hold off on the marriage thing for now?"

"Of course sweetie, I want you to find someone to love you as much as I love your father." My mother answered my question with a smile and winked, letting me know she had my back on this whole finding a bride thing. My father's face wasn't too happy, but he didn't say anything about it.

"Are you sure about trusting these Witches?" Dad asked.

"Trust me Dad, they are not as bad as we thought them to be." He didn't seem convinced.

The rest of the day, I spent it with my parents and Devin. We went to the bottom of the hill, to the centre of the village. We went into shops to buy new clothes for Devin and I. My mother wanted us to get rid of our old clothes because of its cheap quality. I didn't complain and neither did Devin, especially Devin. He couldn't wait to look fly. His words not mine.

It was nine thirty by the time I made it back to my room and started putting my new clothes away. After about thirty minutes, I had everything put away.

I moved to the balcony as the moonlight beamed into my room. Gripping my hands on the railing, I looked towards the forest and wondered what Amira was doing.

"Amira..." I sighed. Those golden eyes I could no longer stop thinking about. Was I crazy for wanting her? I closed my eyes, picturing my lips near her perfect red ones. I don't know if she felt the way I did, but I had to find out.

I opened my eyes and made the decision right then and there to go to her. Yeah, I really was crazy for doing this. I jumped over my third story balcony and landed on my feet lightly. A couple of the guards saw me, but I quickly shifted to my brown wolf and took off running. I jumped over the palace walls and headed straight towards the forest.

As I was running in the forest, I stopped when I suddenly heard a sound. I wasn't sure what it was or where it was coming from. I didn't see any other movements. Maybe if was Amira, she was good at sneaking up on me. As soon as I was about to start running again, three guys came out of nowhere. I sniffed for their scent, the smell of copper alloys hit me, and instantly I knew what they were.

Vampires!

"What is the lil' Prince doing out here so late and so alone?"