6: Familiars

"That was fucking sick, bro." Devin shouted as he jumped off the bed. "How'd you do that?"

Amira raised an eyebrow as she watched Devin's reaction. He was amazed at what she had just done to the Vamp.

"Wait.." Devin came to a sudden realization. "Are you her?" He looked at me with a knowing smirk.

"Name's Amira, not Her." She responded back as she grabbed my shorts from my duffle bag that was on the small round table next to her.

"Get dress. We have to go now, it's not safe here."

She threw the shorts at me and walked out the door.

"You better wipe that smirk off your face, Dev." I warned him as I put on my shorts.

"She's hot."

I just glared at him as I put on a shirt. I was actually glad at this point that Devin was acting himself. After what happened to Jade, I knew this trip was a good distraction.

"So.. you're a Witch, huh?" Devin asked from the back seat of Amira's car. I had just told him about how she was the one who saved me ten years ago.

"You're not as bad as they say ya Witches are." He shrugged and leaned back against the seat. Amira didn't respond, her face was expressionless. She hadn't said a word since we left the motel. We were quiet for a while after that, I decided to break the silence.

"Where're we headed?" I asked.

"Somewhere safe." Is all she said.

Well, she sure wasn't a talker. I wasn't one either, but something in me just really wanted to listen to her voice. But then Devin started up again.

"So, how'd you do that?" Devin leaned forward between the front seats. "You know, that black smoke thing that appeared."

Amira stood quiet.

Devin pouted, "Fine, don't tell us." He finally decided it was time to shut up and leaned back into his seat.

A few hours passed with silence. Devin was knocked out, snoring his lungs out. I occasionally glanced at Amira as she drove. I didn't know if she noticed, but if she did she didn't say anything. Boy, was I wrong at that moment.

"You know, it's not polite to stare." She said with a bored tone to her voice.

"Sorry." I said quickly, but didn't look away from her.

She glanced at me for a second, "What?"

"I'm just trying to figure you out." I rubbed my chin while I answered. "Why does a Witch care so much about what happens to a Werewolf. You guys basically killed off the remaining Lycans not so long ago."

Amira's face tensed. "I can't speak for my ancestors... just know I'm not like them."

"I know." I smirked because I thought I saw a small smile appear on her face.

Suddenly, Amira was the one to keep the conversation going. "Do you know anything about Spirits?"

I was taken aback by her random question. "Not much. Just that they were powerful beings and then one day, boom! They all just vanished."

Amira nodded at my facts. "We called them Familiars."

"Why's that?" I was suddenly curious.

"They were like a Witch's more powerful alter ego."

"I didn't know that." I said with surprise evident in my voice.

"Yeah. You won't find this information in any recorded books. But the reason I'm telling you this is because they weren't very good creatures and that's why my kind has such a bad reputation. They were terribly influenced by them, so much so that they were the cause for what happened to the Lycans."

I'd never heard of that side of the story before, but was I really suppose to trust her words. Yeah she saved my life twice already, but I felt there was something she wasn't telling me. Like she wasn't telling the whole truth.

All I could do was hum in understanding. Listening to her voice without sounding like she was bored, was soft and sexy.

"So what happened to them?" I was now curious of these Spirits.

"Now that my friend.. is a story for another night." She responded almost sweetly. I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, so we're friends now." I teased. "When did that happen?"

"You know, I'm now reconsidering saving you." She teased right back and I just grinned like an idiot the rest of the ride.

"We're here." Amira announced as she stopped the car.

We stepped out of the car and we were in the middle of the forest. I was surprised to see that the sun was already up, I hadn't noticed how fast the time went by.

"Why are we here?" I asked since there wasn't anything but trees for miles.

"This is home." Amira waved her hands in front of the tree that she parked next to and I watched as a door suddenly appeared.

"You witches sure are crafty." I said as I opened the car door to wake up Devin.

I shook Devin and he woke up abruptly with his fists up, "Huh.. what...?" He lowered his arms when he realized that it was me.

"Come on man, we're here." I said as I grabbed my duffle and walked to the entrance of the tree.

Once Devin and I stepped inside, it didn't look like what I expected. It was like we were transported inside of a mini mansion.

"Whoa!" Devin was amazed by what we walked into. "You live here?"

"Hey Amira, where did you go off to last night?" A voice said as she walked out of what I presumed was the kitchen. She was mixing a bowl and stopped when she saw Dev and I. She looked like a younger version of Amira, the only differences were that she had long brown hair and brown eyes.

"Amira, who're they?" She asked cautiously.

"It's cool, Sav. They're friends." Amira responded.

"And when do you hang out with wolves?" She sarcastically questioned Amira.

"I apologize if we're intruding." I intercepted. "My friend here just lost someone and Amira is just helping me cheer him up." I elbowed Devin to back me up as he wasn't paying attention and was staring at her bowl, thinking about food most likely.

"Oh, yeah." Devin didn't have to fake his emotions as this just reminded him once again. "I really miss her."

Her eyes soften at seeing Devin's distraught face. "Oh, I'm so sorry. No, please, stay. Let's start all over, I'm Savannah, Amira's cousin."

"I'm Logan and this here is Devin."

Savannah smiled at Devin who was again staring at her bowl. She noticed.

"Are you two hungry? Do you like pancakes?"

Amira just watched this exchange in surprise. A small smile appeared on my face and her cheeks slightly turned a small shade of pink. She quickly turned away and walked out of the living room in a hurry.