Chapter 2

Firehouse 51, Chicago Illinois

No one's POV

The rescue squad and paramedics just returned from a call. House fire, but not too serious. They all went their separate ways, Some to the kitchen, reading newspapers, playing cards. The social worker Anna pulls up outside the firehouse and gets out, She walks up the driveway. While she is walking up the driveway, the guys look at her.

"Who's that", Otis says with his eyebrows raised. "Someone you can't get," Capp replies. The guys laugh.

Once Anna reaches the apparatus floor, Matt walks up to her and extends his hand for her to shake.

"Hi, I'm Matt Casey", "Anna Jacobs", "nice to meet you". "What can I help you with"?

"I'm looking for Kelly Severide and Leslie Shay"

"Yeah ok, follow me, I'll take you to them" Thank you, she replies back. While she is following Matt to go find Shay and Kelly she turns and smiles at Otis when she catches him staring at her. Otis smiles back and turns to smirk at Capp. Capp just shakes his head and laughs.

Once Matt and Anna reached the kitchen, Everyone turned and looked at them, Anna smiled.

"Hey Kelly, Shay this is Anna Jacobs she's here to see you guys". Matt says as he goes and sits down at the table. Kelly and Shay get up and Kelly shakes Anna's hand first then Shay does the same. "It's nice to meet you guys", Anna says.

"Yeah, you too, what can we do for you," Kelly asks.

"I'm a social worker from Portland Maine, um is there somewhere private we can go and talk".

Kelly and Shay look at each other confused. Why would a social worker want to come and talk to them?

"Umm yeah, sure we can go talk in the conference room". Kelly says. Anna nods her head and they go into the conference room and have a seat.

Back in the kitchen area, the crew looked at each other confused. "Social worker'? Gabby says

"Is Shay thinking about adopting a child?  I mean Shay wanted a kid, maybe her trying to get pregnant wasn't working out".

"Yeah maybe, but it seems like they weren't expecting that social worker to show up". Herrmann says.

Back in the conference room, Kelly and Shay sat across from Anna. "What's this about"? Shay asks.

Anna looks at both of them, "There's no easy way to break this news, so I'm just going to go for it. Kelly and Shay look at each other, this can't be good. " Do you guys remember Alyssa Evans?"

"Yeah, we knew her," Kelly says. A million scenarios were running through Kelly's head. He hasn't talked to her in years. Did something bad happen?

"There's no easy way to say this but Miss Evans passed away three weeks ago from breast cancer".

Shay's stomach dropped, tears forming in her eyes. Kelly was in disbelief. Their best friend is dead. Someone they have known for years. 

"Yeah, this is a shock, Kelly says. Sounding sympathetic. We are very sorry for her loss, but it seems like you also came all the way here for something else".

Anna pulled out a large yellow envelope and slid it across the table to Kelly. "This letter explains everything. It would be best for you guys to read it in private. Miss Evans left a 8-year-old daughter behind. Her name is Kamry Evans.

Shay thinks that she knows what the social worker could be going with this. Could this little girl be Kelly's daughter? Kelly is still in shock after finding out that his former lover has passed away and that he never knew that she had a kid.

"Alyssa wrote this letter a month before she passed away. Her lawyer signed off on it. It explains what Miss Evans wants to happen with Kamry if anything happens to her. The letter also states that you are the father of Kamry and she wants you to take custody of her."

Kelly's stomach dropped. He can't believe this. He has a daughter, why didn't Alyssa ever tell him. Shay couldn't believe it either. Kelly is a father. I mean, Alyssa could have told him about Kamry but she probably had a good reason not to. One thing Shay still couldn't understand is what this had to do with her. Yeah, she was best friends with Alyssa, but there is no way that she can be related or have guardianship over the little girl.

While Kelly is still trying to process the news he just heard, Shay turns to the social worker and asks, 'Why did you want to talk to us both and not just Kelly"?

Anna starts, "it also states in the letter that you were named her godmother. So you don't technically have legal guardianship of Kamry, but Miss Evans told her lawyer that she wanted you to be in Kamry's life and later on become a guardian to her''.

Shay nods her head. It's all starting to make sense. Alyssa always told Shay if she and Kelly had a baby one day that she would want her to be the godmother of that child. Shay smiles at that memory.

"I can see that you guys had no idea that this child existed". Kelly and Shay both shake their heads no.

After silence from Kelly, he asks, "Where is she living now?" wondering how far he was from his daughter.

"She is currently staying in Portland, Maine with her Aunt Connie. Connie has understood and agreed that it would be best for Kamry to come and live with you. Kelly she would like to speak with you first before she brings Kamry up here. She hands Kelly the number for Connie and her business card. Here is Connie's info and mine call me if you need anything. I'll be in touch. Both of you take some time to process this information. I know this came as a shock for both of you. Kelly if this feels like something you can't do then Connie will be more than happy to take custody of Kamry".

Kelly looks at Anna. "Um no, he says quickly. Hopefully not sounding harsh. I mean I would love to have her come live with me, it's just a lot to take in.

"Ok, great. Call me if you have any questions and Connie should be in touch with you guys soon.

Anna got up and started gathering her things, before she was about to leave the conference room Kelly asked, "have you seen her? What does she look like"? Anna smiles, there is a photo of her in the envelope. After that Anna leaves.

Kelly picks up the large yellow envelope and takes the small photo out. There she was, that was really his daughter. Her long brown hair, beautiful blue eyes, and she is wearing a baby blue dress. Kelly stares at the photo starting to get emotional. "She's beautiful," Shay says smiling. Kelly smiles. He turns the photo around. On the back, written in Alyssa's beautiful handwriting, "Happy Birthday Kamry Shay, mamma loves you." Kelly and Shay look at each other. She has Leslie's last name as her middle name.

"Alyssa always said about her wanting her first kid to be named after you, I always thought she was joking," Kelly says. Shay laughs.

Kelly was about to take out the letter to read it but then the bell disrupted them.

Rescue squad, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, structure fire.

Kelly and Shay get up from their seats, Kelly tosses the envelope onto his bed in his office and they run to their trucks. They will just have to read the letter when they get back from their call.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! This story is also posted on fanfiction.net. Username is fanficlover231