Chapter 16

CPD arrived at the firehouse to investigate the explosion of Severide's car. A new firefighter at firehouse 51 named Clarke found a piece of coil on Severide's car and told investigators that the wire is a homemade explosive. It causes something to explode. At this point, Chief Boden and Severide knew that this was now considered arson so Boden told Severide to call in arson investigation.

That week, Severide hadn't had any more threats sent to him. Kamry was back at school and cheer, Kelly was happy that she was able to go back because it will give him some time to focus on who this arsonist is. Severide was currently at Shay and Clarice's house, he was waiting for his dad to come by. This is because the CPD did some digging to see if this arsonist has something against the Severide family as a whole and not just Kelly. They found a guy named Grant Brooks, who was in the academy with Kelly. Kelly could never forget this guy. He has always been jealous of Kelly since their first day of middle school, all the way up to their days in the academy. It turns out that Kelly made it out of the academy before Grant did, and he wasn't happy about that, but the weird thing is Kelly hasn't heard from Grant since the academy days. What changed?

A half an hour later, Kelly heard the doorbell ring. He got up from the couch and went to answer it. He saw Benny standing on the other side.

"Hey dad, come on in," Kelly tells him. Benny walks in and makes his way into the kitchen. Things are kind of awkward between them after Benny walked out on him and Kamry because he thinks that she is not his biological child. They haven't spoken since.

"Do you want something to drink, beer, water?" Kelly asks his dad.

"No thanks, I'm good. I brought some papers with me that could be helpful to the case," Benny tells him. Kelly tells him that they can sit at the kitchen table and look through the paperwork. During Kelly's time at the academy, Benny would take note of things that he noticed about each firefighter, especially Grant Brooks there was something off about that guy.

Kelly looked through the notes that Benny wrote about Grant, "I never knew you had these things, why didn't you tell me?" Kelly asks his dad.

Benny shrugs, " I don't know, I guess I didn't want you to worry about someone being better than you, there were some good men in that academy that were going to make great firefighters, I didn't want it to get to your head," Benny tells his son. Kelly nods his head and continues to read the information about Grant.

"Here you wrote, that he got angry easily. Would want to give up when he made one simple mistake. Physically assaulted one of the instructors." Kelly reads aloud. He remembers all of this. Grant assaulted one of the instructors just because they told him that he should take a break because he was working himself up, he was trying too hard to be the best.

"Dad we need to take this information down to the police department. They can use this as evidence against him." Kelly says.

"It's all yours, go ahead. I forgot to ask when I first got here. How are you and Kamry doing?" Benny asks.

"We're doing good, CPD is doing a good job by tracking him down, I just can't wait for this all to be over with," Kelly says.

Kelly got on the phone with Voight and arson investigation and told him that he has some evidence against Grant that could be helpful. Voight told him to come down to the station and they will take a look. So Benny and Kelly took Shay's car since Kelly didn't have a car at the moment and made their way down to the station and Trudy buzzed them up to the intelligence unit. Arson investigation was also there.

"Ok, so the information that we have gathered so far is that Grant Brooks is someone with anger issues. He is maybe jealous of Kelly for making it out of the academy and becoming a firefighter before he did. At his old firehouse at Firehouse 31, he was fired for drinking on the job and getting a DUI. He could be suffering from depression. Let's bring him in," Voight states.

Voight told Kelly and Benny that after they are done interrogating Brooks that he will give him a call if he will be arrested or not. He said that the information that Benny gave them was very helpful.

Kelly and Benny left the station, "I have to go and pick up Kamry from school, you mind riding, or do you want me to drop you off somewhere?" Kelly asks him keeping his eyes on the road.

"Well I'm already in the car aren't I," Benny says jokingly. Kelly just took that as a yes and headed towards the elementary school. Ten minutes later he pulled up outside of the school and saw Kamry talking to Antonio Dawson's son Diego.

"Who's that little boy your daughter is talking to?" Benny asks Kelly.

"That's Antonio Dawson's son, there in the same class," Kelly says. Kamry spots her dad and waves goodbye to Diego and makes her way towards the car and gets in the back.

"Hey sweetie, how was school," Kelly asks her. "It was good, I had gym today and we played soccer outside on the field, it was fun, maybe I can sign up," Kamry says.

"Yeah, maybe in the spring, your already doing cheer right now, I don't want you to be too overwhelmed," Kelly tells her.

"Okay, umm hi grandpa....I mean Benny," Kamry says correcting herself.

Benny turns around in his seat, 'you can call me grandpa, I'm sorry about what I did. I shouldn't have just walked out on you like that. How about we spend some time together one day. How does that sound?" Benny asks her.

Kamry smiles, "That sounds great, maybe we can go to an arcade and play games," Karmy suggests. Benny tells her that sounds like a good idea. Kelly smiles over at Benny, it sounds like the problems in Kelly's life are going to turn out just fine.

Later that day, Kamry was on the couch reading a book and Kelly was paying some bills, while Shay and Clarice were taking care of Wesley. Kelly's phone rings and sees that it's Voight calling he answers it.

"Kelly I got good news, Grant Brooks has just been arrested for second-degree arson. He is facing up to 10 years in prison. He did this all just because he was jealous of you becoming a firefighter before him and blames you for the downfall of his life. You can get a restraining against him, just in case he tries to hurt you or your daughter again, he will be arrested again in the future. You and your daughter are safe and can be back living your normal lives," Voight tells him.

Kelly was relieved he thanks the Sergeant for his help and he hangs up. "Well it sounds like that was good news," Shay says.

"Yeah it was, he is in jail, facing 10 years in prison. This was all due to him being jealous and mad about me becoming a firefighter before him. I'm going to get a restraining order against him, to be prepared for next time," Kelly tells her.

"So does that mean we can go back to the apartment? I mean I like it here, but all my toys are there," Kamry says. The adults chuckle.

"Yeah, we can go back, we'll go tonight," Kelly says. Kamry goes to sit on her dad's lap, "I'm glad that bad guy is in jail. I was scared," Kamry says.

"I know me too, he won't be able to hurt anyone ever again. Later that evening Kelly and Kamry made their way back to the apartment. It felt good to be back at their place, it felt even better that Kelly didn't have to watch his back every second, what Kelly is also feeling better about is that his dad was finally stepping up to be the grandfather that Kamry deserves to have.

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.  Comment if you have any suggestions/plotlines/storylines that you would like to see in this chapter.