Chapter 4

Kelly's shift is now over and he and the guys are in the locker rooms gathering their things to get ready to head home. This was actually Kelly's last shift before he heads to Maine to go and meet with Connie and to meet his daughter. He is grateful that Boden is being very understanding and letting him take time off to get his new life together. Earlier in the day, he told Herrmann that he is going to be filling in for Kelly as shifts lieutenant. Herrmann asked Boden if everything was okay and Boden just told him that Kelly is dealing with a personal matter and needs some time off. Everyone knows that Kelly is going to be gone and they want to know why.

Kelly and Shay get into his car and Shay starts to laugh. Kelly looks over at her and smiles while turning the key into the ignition.

"What's so funny," he asks. Shay starts to look around his car. Kelly is looking around confused. "What"? he says laughing.

"Are you going to be the cool dad that picks up her daughter in a mustang in the school parking lot?" Shay says.

"I guess I will, won't I. Kelly says driving off. Do you think this car is safe for a 9-year-old?" He asks Shay.

"Yeah, I think it will be fine. At least it has back seats. Just make sure you don't drive like a maniac when she's in the car." Shay says while smiling.

"Would about her room? Should I let her decorate it herself or should we just decorate it ourselves?" Kelly asks.

"I think it will be nice if we decorate it ourselves. Connie's going to being Kamry out here her self right? Kelly nods his head. Okay so once you get back from meeting Connie we can start decorating it." Kelly agrees with that idea and they pull up to Kelly and Shay's apartment.

A couple of hours later Kelly and Shay are on the couch drinking a beer. Kelly thinking about Alyssa and wondering if she was still alive and told him about Kamry. Like she was going to do when she turned 7. He would probably still be scared, but he would probably get to hear the reason why Alyssa kept her a secret from him, but he is not blaming Alyssa for any of it. He can't do that to her. He wished he would have checked up on her before she passed.

Shay nudged Kelly with her foot seeing him deep in thought."You ok over there"? She asks him.

"Yeah, just thinking about Alyssa, I just can't believe she is gone." He says taking a swig of beer.

"I know me either. We had so many great memories of her." Shay says smiling. They talk about Alyssa for a while and laughing about all the crazy things they did as teens.

"Are you ready to meet her, your daughter," Shay asks him, knowing that he still might be nervous.

"Yeah, I'm ready, still a little nervous, but she's probably more nervous and scared than I am. Her mom just passed, now she has to pack up all her stuff and move to Chicago to come to live with her dad that she's never met."

Yeah, your right, she's only nine and she has already been through so much. Do you think I should go and stay somewhere else?" Shay asks Kelly.

"What no, why, do you not want to stay here?" Kelly asks her concerned.

Shay sits up, "No I do want to stay here, don't you just think that's it's going to be too much for her. Seeing us both in person. She has just only seen pictures of us, I don't want her to get too overwhelmed."

"Don't worry, I think she will be fine, and also I'm going to need you at least for a little while to get her situated. Shay knows Kelly's right. She just can't leave him on his own, at least not right now, and Alyssa wants Shay to be there for Kamry and knowing when Kamry gets here she's going to need a lot of support. Shay agrees to stay and she and Kelly head to bed.