Chapter 27 - An Awkward Day

Lunch was strangely silent. Normally Anakin and Ahsoka would start off with some kind of banter or just start up a conversation right out of the blue. Not today, and the three bystanders in the situation were a little uncomfortable by the silence to say the least.

Rex looked in between his two friends, and they were practically doing the same thing. Completely focused on their food, the small clips of conversation they had were rather subdued. He sighed. This kind of awkwardness was not what he wanted.

"So, um... Anakin?" Owen questioned.

"Yeah?" Anakin questioned, looking at his step brother.

"So are we going to stay in Alderaan until the war's over?" he asked.

"Well, it's one of the few places that's safe. From attention from the Jedi and the Separatists both. So we might," Anakin told him.

"And your wife?" Beru asked, making Ahsoka stiffen slightly. Rex was tempted to kick her to make her shut up.

"We're working it out," Anakin said rather blandly.

"From here?" Beru questioned, making Anakin tighten his fists before slamming his hands on the table. This caught everyone's attention, including Ahsoka's.

"I'll tell you what. When you have my life's complications, then I'll care for your input," he snapped before throwing the napkin he was holding on the table and walking off. Beru looked to her husband, and he was shaking his head at her.

"What are trying to accomplish?" Owen questioned.

"I certainly wasn't expect him to storm off like that. What's got him in a tussle?" Beru asked.

Rex pointedly took a sip out of his cup while subtly keeping his eye on Ahsoka, who actually took the time to address Beru.

"He's not the biggest fan of people liberally talking about his marriage," she told her while taking another bite of food. Her tone was rather resigned.

"I'll make note of that," Beru said.

"I'm sure you will," Ahsoka said before tossing her plate in the sink and walking off.

"Well, that was a new stage of awkward," Owen said.

"Get used to it. It might happen a lot," Rex said. "I haven't talked to Anakin yet, but I kind of want him to figure it out himself."

"By the time he figures it out himself, they'll end up hurting themselves more than what you think," Beru said, making Rex frown. He knew she wasn't talking about with Ahsoka.

"Hmm. Good point. Though it's not going to be pretty either way," Rex said.

"The carnage will varies on how she finds out. Whether he just admits he loves someone else or he admits he cheated on her. Which do you think will be uglier?" Beru asked.

"And that's not accounting what Ahsoka might do," Rex said.

"You know her more than anyone around here except for Anakin, and we clearly can't ask him. How do you think she would go about this?" Owen asked. Rex took another drink before speaking.

"I've got no way to tell, honestly. I hardly recognize the Ahsoka that I've been seeing. She's been quiet and reserved thus far, and it's a far cry in attitude compared to how she usually is," Rex said.

"So you're as lost as we are. Great," Owen said.

"No woman should get involved with a married man, much less a girl her age," Beru said, making Rex's eyebrows furrow in irritation.