Chapter 22 - Realization

A/N: I get way to distracted in doing stuff that I neglect updating quite a bit. But I do like where I'm going where this story is going. And by the looks of how well it's doing, you all do to. And I'm glad for that.

"I see you understood what I sent out," Anakin said as the man sat in the seat in front of him.

"Considering you are the only person I mentioned it to, the message in itself was fairly simple. After all, I doubt many people would believe clones when they had to kill a Jedi out of self defense," Rex said before smiling. "So how are you doing ex-general Skywalker?"

"Don't even slightly associate me with a higher title. Out here and away from the Republic, we are equals. So Anakin will do," Anakin said before holding his hand out. Rex grasped it firmly before nodding.

"Anakin it is," Rex said before releasing his hand. "So, where's 'Snips?'" Rex grinned as Anakin rolled his eyes. He could practically touch the quotations in the name.

"In the ship. I told her to wait for a moment, but since I know her, she should be coming in to check right about...

"Rex?" Ahsoka questioned as she walked up to the table, making Anakin grin in satisfaction.

"...now," he finished, making Rex smile as well.

"Impressive," he said.

"I... don't know whether or not I should kill you for keeping this a surprise or hug you," Ahsoka said as she was looking towards Anakin.

"I vote for the second option," Anakin said, holding his hands out. Ahsoka rolled her eyes before going over to hug Rex instead, making him roll his eyes. "Well, that's very nice Snips."

"I see you all the time. You get plenty of hugs. This guy I don't see," Ahsoka said, separating from Rex with a grin on her face. "How'd he get you here?"

"Well, there was some event that went down a while back and Gen- Anakin, was the only man I could even trust to tell of it as there was a certain level of... trust there that was not with other generals. That was what he used to catch my attention. I knew immediately. And I came here," Rex said.

The incident with Krell was a closed subject among his other brothers. As far as the Republic was concerned, Krell was a tragic death from Separatist forces. Given how things could've looked if they had admitted to killing Krell, they might have been classified as traitors. So the story was decided among them. Though keeping it inside only intensified the need to tell someone. Then he ended up going to Anakin. And like he expected and hoped, he understood. Because he would believe the men he had served with for years rather than what could've been suggested by them killing a Jedi.

"Do I even want to know what that incident is?" Ahsoka asked.

"Jedi Master Pong Krell was killed by Rex and his men. Apparently, he pitted the clones against each other from opposite sides of the field, making them kill each other. So they put him down instead of capturing him," Anakin said, making Ahsoka's eyes widen.

"I heard about that incident. So it was covered up?" she asked, making Rex nod.

"We subdued him, but killed him instead of handing him over. It was a moment where sparing him did not cross my mind. Like the Republic would've wanted us to do to make him stand trial. But he made us kill our own brothers. For me, that was inexcusable," Rex said in a grim tone of voice. "Let's put the subject to rest. How about we catch up?"

"That would be preferred," Anakin said before walking outside while gesturing to his ship. "Say hello to the Eclipse Rex."

"You rebuilt the Twilight under a different name?" Rex questioned.