Chapter 37 - Like Old Times

A/N: Just turned 20 today. I've got this and the next chapter on standby already, so I just decided to upload for the heck of it. The uploads likely won't be that far apart since I wrote so far ahead, but the only thing I haven't done is edit them. Which doesn't take too long. So here you go.

There was something... different in the way Anakin did his teaching. It was far more patient, and it was like watching... well, it nostalgically reminded Obi-Wan of the way Qui-Gon taught him the ways of the Force. But Anakin's feats seemed more eased; like it took no effort to do things like absorb a blaster bolt with his hand, or even resist the impact of a saber forcing its way toward him. His ways of the Force had definitely improved. Not just in power, but in mastery. In control.

Obi-Wan stroked his beard in thought as he surveyed Anakin, who was instructing Ahsoka on the control and focus of the technique needed. She nodded, and the way she looked reminded Obi-Wan of the more early days of when she was his Padawan. Like she was trying to impress him in order to prove herself. But weren't they beyond that point? Obi-Wan didn't think he was misreading the look.

"Sir?" A clone interrupted Obi-Wan's pondering, and his approach caught Rex's attention, who was surveying the training as well.

"Yes trooper?" Obi-Wan asked.

"The scan shows no enemy forces in the area," he said, which caught everyone's attention.

"You're sure?" Obi-Wan questioned with a raised brow.

"Yes sir. Just strange geothermal readings in Sector 8," the trooper said.

"Hmm. We'll investigate it," Obi-Wan said.

"Sir," the clone said before nodding and walking away. Anakin and Ahsoka walked towards Obi-Wan, their curiosities peaked.

"Well?" Anakin asked.

"We can't find any signs of the droid army. But there is an area for us to investigate," Obi-Wan said.

"We'll take one of the LAATs down. I'm not taking any chances with the Eclipse on this planet," Anakin said, his arms crossed.

"Eclipse? Is that your name for the Twilight 2?" Obi-Wan questioned.

"For the love of the Force, do not call it that," Anakin said, holding out a hand and shaking his head.

"Eclipse it is then," Obi-Wan said with his hands raised in surrender. But the small smirk on his face gave his amusement away. "So you had the ship remade?"

"It has sentimental value," Anakin said.

"I'm amazed you weren't tracked that way," Obi-Wan said.

"It sends out a scrambling signal that only extends a meter wide," Anakin said.

"Jams tracking frequencies, but nothing else unless amplified. Smart," Obi-Wan complimented, making Anakin smile.

"Thanks. And that's just one of the many improvements it has. Let's head down to this planet," Anakin said, walking off to the hangar.

Two LAATs were used to to transport them, and Obi-Wan traveled with a number of clones while Anakin, Ahsoka, and Rex traveled with a smaller number of soldiers. Who of which, looked at Rex every once in a while before facing forward again. They were probably wondering what his role was, but weren't going to ask.

Anakin's first step onto the planet ended up sinking his boot a couple of inches in the snow before he took another step. Ahsoka had her robe secured tightly around herself, but even then, she could still feel the cold of the planet. It was nowhere near as bad as Hoth or Ilum, but it was still fairly cold.