Chapter 33 - Back To The Temple

Ahsoka looked at Anakin as he had the ship in autopilot, his eyes closed as his face was directed up towards the ceiling. He didn't say a word when they walked on the ship, and he still hasn't spoken even then. He didn't even open his eyes after setting the ship in autopilot. Which also threw up some alarm bells, because he normally piloted the ship himself. Beeping interrupted her staring, and she turned at the astromech droid next to her.

"Hi R2," Ahsoka said with a smile before the droid beeped indignantly when she went to rub the top of his head. "Ok, I'll ask him about it later."

"Yes R2. You can come in the house from now on," Anakin said, his eyes still closed. Ahsoka's eyes snapped to him, and she was surprised to see him not moving. "I warned you it'd get lonely in here." R2 beeped at Anakin, and it made both him and Ahsoka smile as a result.

"Ani?" Ahsoka questioned. Anakin's heart jumped for a second before he calmly opened one eye to look at her.

"Yeah?" he questioned. Most of the time, she only really called him Ani when there was something really dire to say. But he was starting to hear it more and more, and liking it more and more as a result.

"You thought about what you're going to say?" Ahsoka asked. This time Anakin opened his eyes all the way, his focus now on what she just said.

"Me? I have nothing to say to them, quite honestly. But they obviously have something to say to me. So I'll respond to it. That's all there is to it," Anakin told her.

"Right. I just don't want this to all be for nothing in case you get stuck in the same trap as before," Ahsoka told him.

"I'm not going back. At least while things are the way they are. It's just happens we have a common goal. Seeing this war come to an end," Anakin said, making Ahsoka nod.

"Hey, I never properly thanked you for coming along with me," she said.

"You don't have to thank me for that," Anakin told her.

"No, I think I do. Because I don't know where I'd be without you," Ahsoka said, hoping her tone didn't sound too sappy.

"You'd be fine. I have no doubt. Still, there's no good thinking about what might be or what might have been," Anakin said, somewhat talking about himself with that statement. "Better to focus on the here and now."

"Yeah, I guess. Still, thanks," Ahsoka said.

"No problem Snips," Anakin said with a smile. "After the Jedi, there are a few things I want to take care of."

"Padme?" Ahsoka said, her tone somewhat resigned. But she noticed Anakin's lips pursued in a very displeased way, as if he could somehow tell what she was thinking.

"You could say that. There's a lot to clear up. First there's the Jedi to deal with," Anakin said.

"You want me there?" Ahsoka asked.

"You want to come with?" Anakin asked.

"I can handle being in there for a few minutes. Past that, I make no guarantees I'll go insane," Ahsoka said.

"Then come with if you want," Anakin said.

"I'm coming," Ahsoka said firmly.

"Ok then," Anakin said simply. "I'm sure Master Plo will happy to see you're alright."

"I'm sure he will too," Ahsoka said, a smile making its way onto her face. "It'll be nice to see him. And Obi-Wan as well."

"I'm sure they'll be glad to see the beautiful woman you've become," Anakin said with a wide smile, and he grinned wider at the sight of her lekku turning red. There was some guilt in the statement as he was still married, but not when he saw her smile turn sort of shy. It looked strange on her, but it was not at all unwelcome.