Chapter 44 - Order 66, Part 1

"You called for me?" Windu asked.

"Dooku wished to speak with you. He really insisted that it was important," the clone told him.

"Specifically me?" Windu questioned.

"It would seem that way," the clone said before deactivating the barrier to Dooku's cell. "As to why, he won't tell anyone."

"Perhaps that will change," Windu said as he walked inside, the laser door flaring back up as soon as he walked inside.

"Master Windu. Your clones certainly don't waste any time," Dooku said simply.

"He told me that you have something to tell me. Make it quick," Windu said, crossing his arms.

"Very well. This is something that must remained tight lipped. That includes informing the ranks of your clone troopers," Dooku said.

"I can make that decision for myself, Dooku. Stop stalling," Windu said.

"Very well. Though you're dealing with many of the issues around the galaxy, there's still one problem you've yet to solve. You haven't figured out the identity of my master," Dooku said, making Windu snap his eyes to Dooku's. A thin smile crossed his lips at the action. "I see I've got your attention."

"Who is he?" Windu asked, and his tone left no room for argument. But Dooku would make room.

"Why the rush? You seem to have everything in hand," he said easily.

"No games Dooku. Who is he?" Windu said through gritted teeth. He was as impatient as Dooku was calm. But he wouldn't just give the answer away.

"Think about it. You want the truth? You must earn it. And open your eyes. Who, among all of you, would have the resources, cunning, and ingenuity to play you all for fools? The Dark Side has blinded you all to what's right in front of you. Think," Dooku said, making Windu pause. It wasn't going to be a straight up answer, and perhaps Windu should've expected that.

"Play for fools... right in front of us... that would imply it would be someone within the Republic. But who? It certainly can't have been a Jedi. Dooku would have no master younger than him. It wouldn't make sense, given the years of the war they've all been in," Windu thought, and Dooku was still smiling thinly at watching the Jedi Master trying to figure it out. Then it hit him.

"Palpatine. Chancellor Palpatine," Windu thought before his eyes snapped to Dooku. "Why tell me this now?"

"Because you are all too late to stop his plan. He has control of the Senate and the courts. His opinion the people have of him will be more than enough to eclipse the voice of the Jedi. But you are all too welcome to try," Dooku said with a thin smile. "Clock's ticking, Master Windu. You need to make a decision."

With that, Dooku laid down on his cot as Windu strode out of the room. He didn't even address the question of the clone trooper as soon as he walked out. He just continued to walk, Dooku's words repeating themselves in his head word for word.

"Dooku is right. This Sith Lord's reach is vast. There is a lot he controls, and if he wished, he could damn the Jedi if he wanted to," Windu thought. "Dooku told me now because it was a clear challenge. Do what has to be done or watch as the Jedi Order comes to an end." And what had to be done was the Chancellor meeting his end by his blade. If that damned him, then so be it. Better the fall of him than the fall of the Jedi.

"Masters Kolar, Tiin, and Fisto. I need to speak with you. And please make it quick. It's urgent," Windu said over the comm.

"Are you approaching?" Sidious questioned.