Bheed...

Dear reader, I won't mind if you fill my notification with your inline comments.

**

He had come home very tired after working for almost 12 hours. He was so exhausted. Since one month, he was continuously working on tax-returns, balance sheets and audits of various accounts. He used to leave by 8am to catch the 8:10am bus to his office and would return home by almost 9:30 at night. Though the financial year was ending the next day, he knew he would need to work this much at least till the first week of April.

Today being a Saturday, he had returned home just slightly early by 8pm. He had dinner with his family members literally after weeks, barring Sundays. But the exhaustion was clearly visible in his eyes. He came straight to his bedroom and partially lied down on the bed, leaning on the headrest and his one hand on his forehead, with his palm facing the ceiling.

Preeti finished all the cleaning in the kitchen and washed the used plates. There was some leftover from the cooked food, which she stored in the fridge. Switching off all the lights, she went to her bedroom to join her husband. She was happy to see him home early as it was the last working day of the financial year. And tomorrow being his rest day, Preeti thought of bringing the topic again tonight.

"Suniye..." She crawled to the bed and sat next to him.

"Hmmmmm...." Shubham responded after a few moments.

"Aap so rahe hai kya?" She asked hesitantly as she could see his eyes closed and his hand on his forehead.

"Nahi..." He replied with just one word.

"Woh... aapse kuchh baat karni thi..." She said.

He took off his hand and opened his eyes to look at her. "Preeti, mai sach me bohot thak gaya hun. Kal baat kare kya?" He still had some creases on his forehead.

Preeti, who was all set to broach the topic, loosened her stance. She lowered her eyes, "Ummm... Haan thik hai..." She said and turned to slide to her side of the bed.

But she was stopped by a gentle hold on her wrist and she turned to look at her husband. Shubham straightened on the bed while folding his legs. "Sorry Preeti... Mai tumhe waqt hi nahi de paa raha hun..." He mumbled.

"Nahi Shubhamji... aap kyun maafi mang rahe hai. Mujhe samajhna chahiye tha ki aap thake hai..." Preeti stated understandably.

"Nahi, aisi koi baat nahi hai... Kal Ravivaar hai na, aaram hi karna hai... Bolo..." He put a gentle smile on his face.

Preeti looked at her husband, who looked tired but was still ready to listen to her. She took a deep breath and started, "Shubhamji, woh maine bataya tha na, woh parlour ke course ke baare me..."

Shubham closed his eyes in disappointment. After being so tired, so exhausted, wanting to sleep badly but still wanted to talk to his wife, she had to talk about this. "Preeti... maine pehle hi tumse kaha hai... Maa ko nahi pasand ghar ki aurtein bahar jakar kaam kare..." His voice was still low, not wanting to snap at Preeti.

"Mummyji ki pasand-naapasand sab mujhe pata hai Shubhamji. Lekin aap kya chahte hai?" She questioned.

He looked down. Linking his fingers and resting his elbows on his knees, he sighed, "tumhe pata hai Preeti mai Maa ke khilaf kabhi gaya nahi hun..."

"Mai kaha keh rahi hu ke hume Mummyji ke khilaf jakar kuchh karna hai... Lekin unhe mana bhi sakte hai na..." She looked at him with hopeful eyes.

He looked back at her and he could see the hope in her eyes. He was the only person in her life she could ask for some things. He was the only person who could fulfil her wishes. He felt so dejected with himself that he couldn't even say yes to such a small request from her but he wasn't ready to go against his mother. He took her hand in his, "Preeti, mujhe kam se kam agle 10 din tak bohot kaam hai. Mai tumhara dil nahi todna chahta lekin kya hum iske baare me kuchh dinon baad baat kare?" He tried to just delay the conversation to avoid the dilemma of talking to his mother.