33. Loosening Grip

Naina and Sameer were walking fast on the platform, making their way through the crowd. Well, to be precise, it was Naina who was walking fast and pulling reluctant Sameer with her.

"Nainaaa... maine kitni baar kaha hai tumhe... " Sameer almost whined, "local se jaana zaroori hai kya? Mumbai ki aabadi dekhi hai tumne? Din-ba-din badhti jaa rahi hai."

Naina dodged a lady in front of her and replied, "Sameer local se jana kitna kifaayti hota hai. Hum kam paiso me aur kam samay me pohoch jaate hai... aur tumhara yeh darr chhod do ab..."

Sameer made a face like a kid who was forced to walk against his wish. He had put forth all the nice points for their debate about how they shouldn't go by local. But every point of him was smartly crossed by Naina and she made him finally drop all his weapons for protest and convinced him.

Sameer found the crowd to be denser than usual and this made his decision of not taking Naina with him for local travel more firm. But today he had no option. He had demanded a long kiss in the kitchen and Naina had given it to him. He knew how his wife uses some of these tricks on him to make him agree to what she wants.

"Poori Mumbai ko aaj hi local se jaana hai kya... " he muttered before a man coming in his direction collided with him, to such an extent that he was pushed back with a great thud. He rubbed his shoulder, glaring at the man behind who seemed totally unbothered and then disappeared in the crowd. Ignoring, his hand went forward instinctively to find Naina's, but he caught only air in his fist. He didn't realize that the strong impact resulted in the loss of their handhold.

He looked ahead for Naina, but he didn't find her. Frowning, he looked around, panic taking over him within a moment. There was such a rush of people coming from all directions, that he couldn't move even a few feet from his place.

How can the platform be so crowded? He mused.

"Nainaaaa... " he hollered her name, looking at the direction of the local.

When did the local come to the platform?

He didn't notice it. Pushing the people around him, who were mostly pushing him backwards, he tried to walk... no, he tried to run... but nothing worked. He was unmoved from his place.

He yelled her name again, his stomach producing all the energy to make his voice as loud as possible. His eyes looked for her black wavy hair reaching her waist, but he didn't find it. He scanned through people for a girl wearing a blue suit and pink dupatta, but there was no one in the crowd wearing that combination.

Why she had to wear the same dress as the day when she was lost?

His brain sent him more panic signals, resulting in his heart taking a bullet speed to beat with, his forehead and palms glistening with sweat, his breathing accelerating and throat choking. Not to forget his eyes brimming with slight tears.

He wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes and cleared his throat. He cannot afford to let history repeat, else he won't survive.

He pushed whoever came to his way with all the force he had. It had started darkening with no lights on the station getting switched on. He needed to find Naina quickly.

What if the crowd pushed her somewhere else?

What if she had already left the station just like last time?

What if she has boarded the local and is looking for him?

He ran... ran for his life... Naina was his life and he couldn't live without her. She was the necessity for his life... for his existence...