54. Gamble with Destiny

The bedroom of the flat J101 was dimly lit. In addition, it was a beam of moonlight that entered through the window and enlightened a corner on a wall.

The Maheshwari couple was under the duvet, completely undressed and so not in a mood to wear even basic essentials. Naina had rested her head on Sameer's right arm, as they lay on their back, and she clasped Sameer's right palm with her right one.

Genuine smiles took place on their lips as they cooled down from the aftermath of the lovemaking, embracing and cherishing the silence between them while their hands played.

"Kal ke liye excited ho?" Naina asked after a while.

Sameer blew a heavy sigh from his mouth. Naina's mere mention of tomorrow had resulted in a hole in the pit of his stomach.

He ran his fingers through his hair, delaying the response. "Haan... excited aur nervous bhi..."

"Nervous kyun? Ab tak toh bade khush the..."

Sameer chuckled, slipping his palm beneath his head, "khush hu mai Naina..." he said, "lekin... thoda sa hairan bhi hu... samajh mein nahi aa raha hai zindagi mujhe kaha le ja rahi hai..."

Naina turned towards him, keeping her palm on his bare chest, she observed him. He had been talking about all the things he was going to learn as an Assistant Director. She had seen him restful at nights when there was no pressure of facing the same predicaments of the auditions and the rejections. He had a satisfactory smile on his face as if he had gotten a job that would give him the salary. But even after all this, she could perceive the seriousness behind his statement.

While trying to convince her to take her writing seriously, Sameer had stated how very few people know what exactly they want to do with their life and their career. And she had known where that came from. When this city of dreams, Mumbai, showed him the mirror, shoving the truth of the entertainment industry on his face, he had been going with the flow after that. Yes, he wasn't really sure what he wanted to do with his life as compared to when they had come to Mumbai.

There was a stark difference in Sameer's way of looking towards his career and the trajectory. And any normal person would have packed his bags and left the city after getting kicked like a football from one medium to another, from one producer to another, in this playground of the industry. But Sameer didn't leave the ground. He rather accepted the kicks as the push to move forward. He made himself flexible, and that's how he survived.

"Sameer, kabhi kabhi humein kuchh baatein qismat par hi chhod deni chahiye... hum kitne bhi plans kyun na bana le... lekin jab bhagwanji hamare liye koi banate hai na, toh woh sabse khubsurat hota hai..."

Sameer spotted a sparkle in her eyes as she voiced. He reciprocated with smile, "haan... jaise mera plan toh sirf ek shart jitna hi tha... lekin bhagwaanji ka plan tha tumhe meri zindagi mein bhejkar mere andhere dil ko roshan kar dena..."

"Ufff... kya dialogue hai... wah wah wah wah!!!" Naina teased him, making dramatic faces as she placed her hand on her chest, and forcing Sameer to roll his eyes. "Waise aap mein kitne gunn hai hero ji? Aap itna achchha abhinay karte hai, itna achchha likhte bhi hai... aur ab toh janaab Assistant Director bhi ban'ne ja rahe hai..."

"Naina shut up haan..." Sameer admonished her, seeing her laughing while keeping her palm on her mouth. "Waise likhne se yaad aaya, tumne kahani likhna shuru kiya ya nahi?"

Naina twisted her mouth and got back to her place on his arm, "haan shuru toh kiya hai..." she answered, staring at the ceiling fan, "lekin saare kirdar abhi tay tak nahi hue hai..."