31. The Persistent Conundrum

Preeti's hands trembled as she kept on holding the piece of paper in it. Her mouth was dry as well as her throat.

"Shubhamji... yeh... " Preeti started but couldn't complete her question.

Shubham swallowed a lump and adjusted in his seat nervously. His eyes shifted between Sameer-Naina and Preeti. He had planned it for the afternoon or maybe night, with only them in their solitude and no one disturb. But it came out this way, in the open, just because of his stupidity of leaving his wallet on the table.

He had to reveal it for Preeti's sake. He couldn't see her perturbed face for long now.

He wore a bright smile, slightly turning towards Preeti, he voiced, "yeh tumhare liye hi hai Preeti..."

Preeti's eyes glistened unknowingly, she was overwhelmed since the moment she held the paper.

"Kya hai yeh?" A curious voice drew Preeti and Shubham's attention in the front, and Sameer hit Naina's knee with his under the table, passing a sharp glance at her that that might be something personal between them and they should not intrude.

Naina realized her folly and she slid back on the couch more. But the question had been asked.

Shubham took the charge to reply without any hesitation, he certainly didn't have any problem in sharing it with Naina and Sameer. "VLCC naam ka ek beauty & wellness service center hai," he started informing the three curious people, "Mrs. Vandana Luthra chalati hai usse. Unki ek branch Andheri me khulne wali hai. Toh Preeti ka admission karaya hai waha pe... Hair and Make-up ke course ke liye." Finishing, he looked at Preeti who just chuckled, finding all this unbelievable and wiping a tear from the corner of her eyes.

"Kyaaa?? Sachchi??" Naina almost screamed while covering her mouth with her palms. Sameer too smiled widely, finding Shubham's gesture impressive.

Shubham nodded and Naina gasped, looking at Preeti with sheer happiness.

The two sisters' eyes met and a lot of emotions and memories flooded in their eyes. All the moments when Preeti cut Naina's hair and gave her new looks, the way she did Naina's makeup in all the special occasions, may it be her first day as GS in college, dandiya nights, Naina and Sameer's two engagement functions and many more. The dream they saw together, of Preeti's own parlor, how Naina would be Preeti's first client and she would pay it from her own money and then of Preeti becoming a successful hair-stylist. At this moment, they both saw it in one-another's eyes. It was just a baby step towards it, though they were happy with the step taken itself. They wanted to hug each other right here, right at this moment, but a big wooden table stood as a partition line between them, restraining them to hurl themselves on their sister.

Sameer engulfed his big palm around Naina's fingers, pressing it slightly as he could perceive what the sisters must be going through. Naina craned at her left and nodded, clearing the pool of tears in her eyes with her white cotton dupatta.

Preeti too looked at her husband on her left, who had only love in his eyes for her. His smile was so pure and subtle. She felt bad that she probably ruined Shubham's surprise but then felt absolutely pleased that it came out in front of Naina, who was the first person to have the right to know about it.

She cleared her throat, wanting to clear some questions in her mind, "Shubhamji... yeh bahot jaldi nahi ho gaya? Mai mummyji ka dil nahi dukhana chahti aur mujhe pata hai woh abhi raazi nahi hai inn sab ke liye."

Shubham knew this would come from Preeti. The fact that she cared about his mother's opinion first. She had said it before too that she would never intend to rebel to convince the elders of the house. She wanted everyone to be happy with her decision and support her willingly from the bottom of their heart.