38. Unravelling Secrets

Rakesh folded his hands and bowed down in front of the lord Ganesh idol in the temple near to the society. Giving a basket of flowers and a box of pedha to Panditji to offer to the idol, Rakesh picked a hundred rupee note from his wallet and pushed it in the old donation box. This was the highest amount he must have donated in a temple. There was a time he used to question what has god even given to him and what good had happened in his life after he prayed. Sometimes he used to believe in God just because everyone around did it.

But when he started his life anew all over again after Naina and Sameer's marriage, leaving the old Rakesh behind, he had again started restoring true faith in God. He discerned that life is not only about asking, but it is about giving. And just like how going to a temple is not about your demands to God but it is about offering him whatever you have. Even if it is less.

He started the parikrama and in his way, he found a family of fourーhusband-wife and two children, a daughter and a sonー performing the parikrama together. The couple was following the ritual religiously, while the kids were only jumping and walking and playing in their way, holding the hands of their parents. They must be hardly 7-8 years old and were so adorable.

How he wished to live such a peaceful life with Rama!!!

He finally walked his way back home. He was out for two hours. Before going to the temple, he casually wandered in a garden nearby, wanting to breathe in the open. He was quite overwhelmed with the way he had spent his day with Naina and Sameer.

He hadn't anticipated his birthday would be remembered by them. His birthday had never gone beyond taking the blessings of his elders.

Naina and Sameer had wished him in the morning after he finished performing pooja. And today being Sunday, they prepared all the special dishes only for him. The menu of kheer-puri had made him happier and a bit emotional. He was getting royal treatment today.

Also, coincidentally, Doordarshan was broadcasting his favorite Dharmendra's movie 'Chupke Chupke' and they all had enjoyed watching it together.

But his day still had a tinge of despair to it.

Among the very few calls he received during the day, 'that' call he was waiting for hadn't come yet.

He was going through an internal debate with himself. He wanted the call but also didn't want it to happen at the same time. And hence he finally left the house at 5 o'clock so that he could divert his mind.

Rakesh smiled warmly after spotting Shubham and Preeti at home. "Arey tum dono yahan?"

The three stood up and Preeti walked towards Rakesh, "Happy Birthday Tauji," she said with a beaming smile and hugged Rakesh. Shubham followed her and he too wished Rakesh and touched his feet.

Rakesh greeted them with a smile and blessed them. He asked some casual questions to Shubham about his work and Shubham replied to them accordingly. After the routine conversation was over, the four stood awkwardly for a while, smiling at one another and not getting what to do next.

"Arey, yeh gubbare aur sajawat kisliye ki hai?" Rakesh asked, looking around and stopping his gaze at Naina.

"Papa, yeh gubbare aur sajawat na... ummm..." Naina fumbled to tell the reason, "woh... Preeti tu bata na." She nudged Preeti.

"Mai?" Preeti got startled, "haan, woh Tauji yeh sajawat isliye ki hai kyuki... ummm... Shubhamji batayenge aapko." She passed it to Shubham.

"Mai? Mai kaise batau?" Shubham looked helplessly at Preeti.