37. Hit-and-Miss

Rakesh was in the balcony when Sameer entered the house with his keys. First he thought there must not be anyone in the house, but then the open balcony door and some sounds coming from there told that Papa must be at home. Taking his footwear off, he strolled to the balcony just to confirm and found Papa drying the clothes on the ropes.

"Aapko aaj library jana tha na Papa?" Sameer asked.

Rakesh looked at him as he flicked the wet t-shirt in his hand, "haann.. Mai jaake bhi aa gaya," he informed, "bass kuchh kapde dhone baaki the subah, toh abhi phataphat dho liye..."

Sameer smiled at him and left for the bathroom to freshen up. After returning to the hall, he sat on the sofa chair, spreading his legs as usual and leaning back. He saw Papa taking the empty bucket back to the bathroom and then joining him on the couch.

He was thirsty and he looked towards the kitchen for no reason.

Wait... what was he looking for?

Naina wasn't at home and water wouldn't pour itself in a glass and come to him at his service. Naina had surely spoiled him with her habit of serving him water at first. He was missing her at home, her way of greeting him with a big smile on her face and rushing to him to hug him. He sighed and got up to help himself with the water.

"Chai piyoge?" Rakesh asked after a few minutes of silence. He found Sameer tired.

"Mai... banata hun Papa," Sameer said, almost ready to get up.

"Arey baitho baitho... mai banata hun hum dono ke liye..." Rakesh said as he smiled.

Rakesh started preparing tea for two. Today was actually his off-day at the library, but since he took an off yesterday, he compensated for it by going today. Naina had told him that she had taken leave from office for Sameer's birthday and that he need not rush to get back home.

After he returned from Phulla Bua in the morning, Naina performed Sameer's aarti in the presence of Rakesh. Rakesh also hadn't returned home empty handed. Phulla Bua had packed Badam Halwa for them all, especially for Sameer and Rakesh had also taken some sweets and Sameer's favourite breakfast from the mart. When Sameer had touched his feet for blessings, Rakesh had become overwhelmed with emotions and couldn't utter anything other than 'khush raho'. He was surprised when both Sameer and Naina asked him to join them for Siddhivinayak Mandir visit. He was so happy with the proposition that he too asked for a day-off in the library and joined them.

"Yeh lo... garma garam chai..." Rakesh voiced as he placed the tray with two cups on the tea-table. There was a bowl of biscuits to accompany tea.

Sameer gladly accepted the tea made by his father-in-law.

"Aaj kaunse audition ke liye gaye the?" Rakesh casually asked.

"Audition nahi tha Papa... aaj woh artist card banane gaya tha mai." Sameer said as he took a sip.

"Toh ban gaya?"

"Nahi... bol rahe the waqt lagega banne me... aur kuchh fees bhi bharni padegi uske liye..."

"Achchha? Toh paise bann gaye ya mai du?" Rakesh asked genuinely.

"Nahi Papa," Sameer smiled as he said. He knew Papa was asking it out of pure concern, "paise hai mere paas. Bass. thodi lambi procedure hai..."

"Hmmm... koi bhi awashyakta ho toh mujhe batana, thik hai?"

"Ji Papa..." Sameer replied.