Beti ki Khushi

A drop of tear fell on the name 'Sneha' on the page of the magazine and Preeti wiped it immediately, not wanting to leave any trace of her vulnerability on such a beautiful piece of work by her sister. Preeti had read Naina's piece of writing when she used to write during school and college, for many times she had found some emotional notes on the last pages of Naina's notebooks in their teens. She knew how thoughtful and articulate Naina's writing is. And today her sister had proved it once again, by bringing tears to her eyes.

Preeti was happy for Naina. Though she was interested in reading only Film magazines and at maximum Grihshobha or Meri Saheli, she knew that Kadambini is a prestigious magazine. And seeing Naina's story getting featured in that magazine meant a lot for everyone. Finding her name in the index and then at the bottom of the last line. If asked by someone what happiness means to her, then she would reply 'this'. She recalled Naina had shown her story two months back, when she had visited Naina and did her haircut. A frown automatically took place on Preeti's face due to the remembrance of that day. She was sure she had read a different story that time, it was about two sisters indeed, but definitely a lot more different than this one.

Did Naina change her story after that?

What made her change it?

She tried to find the difference between the two stories, and she could spot only one. If she placed the two of them as the sisters of the stories, then the previous story was more centered on Preeti supporting Naina, and this one being Naina supporting Preeti. A smile covered her lips.

How the time had changed for both of them!!

Since their childhood, Preeti was the one who stood like a support for Naina, her dearest friend and sister, and sometimes even like a brother. Even in Naina and Sameer's love story, Preeti was the strongest pillar of support throughout. She would do anything for them even now, the way she did for hiding their truth of being married, but the tables seemed to have turned now. At this time, Preeti found herself a bit weaker, taking a step back from the pursuit of following her dreams. She was tied up in the mundane routines of the housewife. Not that she felt it as a burden, but the monotony of her days troubled her more. She had kept the permission part for the parlor course on hold, since Shubham had said that he would talk to his mother in some peaceful time. Though it had been days to that discussion too and she didn't see any step taken by Shubham for this, the small changes in his behavior since a month had raised her hopes. And she had decided to truly wait.

She closed the magazine and heaved in happiness. She need not find herself alone in this struggle now, because Naina was with her. Naina hadn't expressed her support directly to her, Naina didn't say any heavy speech about how she should talk to her family or stay strong and all. But she had subtly conveyed through her story that she was with her, in every stage of her journey to following her dreams. She wanted to meet Naina right now, she wanted to hug her the tightest; doesn't matter if she's ruining a romantic moment between her sister and Jijaji again. She just wanted to thank her.

Sliding her chair back, Preeti stood and almost ran to leave the house again, but things just couldn't go as she always planned, at least after she came here in this house as a daughter-in-law. She found Nirmalaji entering the living room right there.

She halted in her way, taking a deep breath and hiding the magazine behind her instantly.

"Preetiii... kaha ja rahi hai iss waqt?" Nirmalaji queried.

"Mummyji... mai... woh... Naina se milne jaa rahi thi..." Preeti replied hesitantly.

"Preeti Betaaa...", Nirmalaji said in her usual tone. "Ab apna bharoso toh hai, par iss kali jubaan par bharoso koni... ab tumhari behen toh isi society me rehti hai... toh yeh milna-milana hote hi rahega... lekin abhi khana banane ka samay hai, nahi?" Nirmalaji adjusted her pallu and gave a slight jerk to her neck.