twenty-two | passwords and planes

Caleb Andrews

Caleb Andrews

When I woke up for school, I felt just as tired as I did before I went to sleep. My parents arrived home from work quite late, but they went straight to bed when they got in, leaving Gabby, who was also probably asleep, Jake and I, whilst Clara and Kylie were still staying at a friends.

I think I had a natural ability to wake up without an alarm but people like Gabby need an alarm so she always had her phone going off at stupid o'clock in the morning.

However, like every morning, I would usually hear Gabby's alarm an hour before mine, giving me another hour to sleep. But I didn't hear hers this morning. Instead, I woke up to mine and felt a sudden rush of concern flow through me.

I had simply guessed that she had forgotten to set it and needed waking up instead, although I knew she wouldn't be too happy with being woken up this late.

I pulled on some jeans and a t-shirt to wear to school and walked up to Gabby's door and knocked. "Hey Gabby, you ready?" I called, not hearing her voice from inside.

"Gabby?" I shouted a little louder this time, knowing that the only other person in the house was Jake, no matter how much I hated that thought.

No reply.

Feeling genuinely concerned, I knocked again and then opened the door. My heart began to race when I realised that her bed had not been slept in and I knew that she loved her bed too much to not get a good nights sleep in it.

My mind was wondering where the hell she was as I realised that she had probably just gone to school a little earlier.

However, as soon as I was ready to leave the house, the light caught something by the door as I noticed her phone sitting, switched off, on the side, as if she had left it there and walked out.

I knew she would've never left the house without her phone. For the short time that I've known Gabby, I've learnt quite a bit about her, and being without her phone was definitely something that would never happen.

Pulling her phone off of the counter, I examined it, knowing that she probably didn't have much to hide so she wouldn't set a passcode. But like always, luck was not on my side this morning, and she had one set.

I knew it was bad to be going through her phone, but I would have never done it if I wasn't genuinely concerned as to where she actually was. And I was hoping that something on her phone would reassure me.

Why did they even invent a passcode on phones when they knew that everyone would like to check other people's phones, especially in situations like this?

Then again, people like me is probably why they created them in the first place.

I sighed as I entered various random codes, trying to figure out the code, but I ended up getting a minute lock on it.