two | chemistry and whispering

As soon as I entered the science lab, my nose was immediately hit with the smell of Bunsen burners and chemicals, unfamiliar to my nostrils

As soon as I entered the science lab, my nose was immediately hit with the smell of Bunsen burners and chemicals, unfamiliar to my nostrils. Flora was sat in our usual seats at the back of the class. Her blonde hair was easily spotted from where I was standing.

However, when I walked over to the seat, I was not met with her usual warm welcome since her eyes were glued to her phone screen, scrolling through a Facebook page. "Since when do you use Facebook?" I asked, knowing that I had only seen the app being opened on my mom's phone.

I used it only to speak to family members, and to be notified when it was someone's birthday, which I could never seem to remember.

"It was my last resort to find Caleb," before I could respond, she spoke again, "did you know that he doesn't have Instagram, Twitter, or Snapchat?" she emphasised like it was the end of the world.

I stared at her for a while before I could conjure up a response, "Who is Caleb?" I asked, the name being the only thing on my mind after her rant.

As a reply, she thrust her phone into my face to show me a profile picture of a face I already didn't want to be familiar with. Even though he had a straight face in the photo as he stood with some other people, I could sense his smirk already.

"From this, I have learnt that he is a Capricorn, he has a mom, a step-dad, an older brother and a younger sister." She said without letting out a breath. Before I could even be impressed with how much she had found out, she carried on.

"His older brother lives in Europe somewhere and his little sister lives with him." She finally said, keeping her eyes firmly locked on his Facebook page like a possessed stalker. In the photo, the boy stood beside the young girl I assumed to be his sister, but I didn't see any sign of an older brother.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her, "how do you know he has an older brother?"

"Oh, I learnt that from everyone else." She seemed pretty proud with her findings as she locked her phone and threw it in her back pocket after seeing Mr Davies walk into the room.

Despite the fact that it was Chemistry, one of the most boring classes on my timetable, Mr Davies was the only teacher to make a tedious subject sound almost, fun.

However, the room suddenly fell silent, like it did in the halls. The boy, now known to me as Caleb, followed it. He was circling his wrists with his hands, rubbing the area that appeared red underneath his fingers.

"Oh my god," I heard Flora whisper slowly from beside me, but I wasn't listening to her. Instead, I was looking at the boy again. His eyes caught mine for the second time before a stupidly familiar smirk plastered onto his face again.

"Caleb Andrews is it?" The boy nodded hesitantly at Mr Davies, ignoring the worshipping eyes of everyone sitting around the class. "Welcome, take a seat," Mr Davies said to him, scanning the room before finally pinpointing the seat next to me.