three | dinners and awkwardness

I slapped my hand up to my mouth as mom gave me a deathly glare

I slapped my hand up to my mouth as mom gave me a deathly glare. However, the woman at the door shrugged it off and smiled even wider, seeing it as humorous. "I'm Katherine, and this is Clara and Caleb," she said, talking to Kylie and I as she signalled to her two children. "And this is my husband Mike."

Kylie and I awkwardly smiled at the family, not knowing what to do next. Although, Katherine did seem genuinely nice, and only now was I regretting that the first word to come out of my mouth to her was a curse word.

"Welcome everyone," Mom replied, wiping her hands on her turquoise coloured apron. "Why don't you two show our guests around," she signalled to us, to which I fake smiled and looked over at an obviously smirking Caleb.

"And you and Mike can help me in the kitchen," my mom finished before pulling the two along with her to where the kitchen was. 'Be nice' my mother mouthed as I looked over at Kylie and Clara who had already began talking.

I nodded hesitantly as Kylie led Clara into the living room, leaving only Caleb and I in the hallway. Despite looking into his eyes earlier, I kept my eyes trained on the floor, not wanting to look at him again. I was frozen in place, not wanting to say the first thing to him, not wanting to talk to him at all.

"Nice to see you again," His voice finally rang in my ears. Of all people, why was it him that was here? It may seem like I was judging too quickly, but I had a bad feeling about him, and I trusted my gut more than I trusted him.

Instead of continuing to grace him with my annoyance, I followed where Kylie and Clara had gone and sat down on a sofa beside them. They were too preoccupied with their phones to notice me sitting down.

However, as I did, the weight next to me plummeted, and Caleb was sitting comfortably beside me with his stupid smirk still playing at his lips. Did he not have any other facial expression?

"Who you texting?" He asked, leaning over to look at my phone. I pulled it away from him, not wanting him to know that I was furiously typing a long text to Flora about how she should stay away from him.

"Can you leave me alone?" Faking politeness, I smiled back to my phone as I was about to finish the text, but the phone was snatched out of my hand before I could press send.

"You're going to have to talk to me because otherwise, your mom loses one of her dear friends," I sighed. Out all things to threaten me with, he had to choose that one. Even though, I wasn't sure how he would do it, I knew he probably would, and I didn't want to find out how.

"Fine, what do you want to talk about," I asked with irritation laced within my voice. He did me a once over, having the cheek to look me up and down before his eyes settled on mine again.

He grinned like a child, "I want to know more about Flora King," I tensed upon hearing her name from his mouth. No way would I be letting him get a hold of Flora. The same unsettling feeling was still present in my gut when I looked at him.