twenty-seven | pancakes and threats

5 days later

5 days later

"I'll drive you both in today, if that's ok?" My mom asked as she flipped pancakes at the stove in the kitchen. She had been back for three days now and we had moved back into the house.

Caleb was also out of hospital, but it was only by what I had heard from Katherine and my mom.

After what had happened to him, he hadn't told anyone about it and more importantly, he told Clara to tell me to stay away from him, which is exactly what I had been doing.

I had a gut feeling that I had done something wrong and I had gone over multiple things that I'd done in those last few days that could've caused it, but I had nothing.

I was currently staring blankly at that table with my head in my arms whilst my mom tried to get through to me, which she had been failing at since she got back. I hated that I was taking everything out on her and Kylie, but I was still desperately trying to wrap my head around Caleb and what I had done.

Kylie nudged me to reply. "Yes, that's fine," I replied as my mom sighed and carried on making breakfast.

"Are you happy that you're back?" Kylie asked mom as she turned and smiled at her. I liked that Kylie was trying to make the room brighter with conversation, but I just wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone like she was speaking to mom.

"A lot happier, I spent most of the time with an old friend, but I'd much rather be back here," Mom replied as she held the side of Kylie's cheek, "I'm happy to see both my girls," she finished as she walked round and kissed us both on the head.

She placed pancakes in front of us and smiled lightly. I felt incredibly bad that I wasn't being very happy, but seeing as someone who I loved almost died and now wants nothing to do me, I have plenty of reasons to be upset.

• • •

"Have a good day you two," my mom shouted as we scrambled to climb out of the car for school, seeing as we were already a few minutes late from taking so long to eat our pancakes.

My loss of appetite was also having an effect on how much energy I had. Rushing to school just wasn't my priority, making classes harder to understand and teachers angrier at how late I was becoming.

"Gabby, can I speak to you for a minute?" She asked politely as I closed the door again and put on a fake smile. "I know about everything that has happened between you and Caleb," I felt my heart drop.

She didn't know half of what was between Caleb and I. "I have spoken to Katherine and she can't get through to Caleb," she simply told me as I felt another stray tear threaten to escape my eye. "Please don't shut me out Gab," She tried to hold back tears as she spoke to me.

"I know, I'm just finding it difficult," I said to her as my breathing grew ragged again at the singular mention of Caleb and what was going on with me these last few days. "Come here," she said as she leaned in and wrapped both arms around me.