eleven | phonecalls and break-ups

James Henry

James Henry

I had missed her these past few days, I really had. Just her being around that jerk made me squirm inside and I can tell it's changing her. She just doesn't see it. I want her to see that he is the bad guy and I'm not.

I had been pacing up and down in my room for the past hour. "Just call her you idiot," I chanted to myself, attempting to build up the courage to do it

I have never regretted anything more in my life, what I did with Flora was unacceptable and stupid. I even felt bad for punching the jerk in the face because at least he had standards and didn't have sex with Gabby.

I did it with her virgin best friend, which is even worse.

I just wanted our relationship to stay the same and for her to never find out about Flora and I. Hopefully, her feeling bad about the kiss will take away the fact that I felt extremely bad about what I did. To be honest, I did deserve the punch that came straight after me punching Caleb; I probably deserved over a hundred punches.

Why was I so stupid?

Finally, I sat down on the bed with my hands in my hair and my face slumped down, staring at the floor. I needed to suck it up and call Gabby and get her to come over. I needed to apologise for the punch. No way can I ever mention the Flora thing; I just wanted to forget about it.

I haven't actually spoken to Flora since Friday and although I felt bad about it, there was some fault in her corner as well.

I quickly dialled Gabby's number and she answered straight away, obviously in a good mood for some reason. "Hello?" She asked into the phone. I hadn't heard her voice for a while and just hearing it made me happier.

"Hey, it's James, can you come round to mine later, we need to talk," I replied, trying to sound nonchalant and not phased that she was probably with Caleb.

She agreed quickly, making my stomach drop slightly. She didn't even sound bothered on the phone; she just sounded like she wanted to get rid of me. We both hung up at the same time before I started to make myself look a little more presentable than an old t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms from sleeping.

At certain times in the morning, I was still delicately icing the bruise that had now formed over my eye, it looked disgusting, but I deserved it. I don't think I had ever gotten into a proper fistfight before the one with Caleb.

I changed into some jeans and a shirt I found at the top of my drawer before walking over to the curtain, I noticed a car slowly pulling up onto our drive and knowing it was her, I sprinted down the stairs and out the door towards her car.

I just wanted everything to be good between us again, and I didn't want to think about what we had both done, even though she doesn't exactly know what I've done.

Pain and guilt struck my chest as I wrapped my arms around her like I hadn't seen her for months. "I'm so sorry," I whispered into her ear as she took a few seconds to hug me back.

"It was wrong of me, I was jealous and angry and I didn't even notice I knocked you over, please forgive me?" I argued back pleading for her forgiveness. She smiled lightly at me, making my stomach clench with guilt.

"I'm sorry too, for kissing Caleb," anger rose up inside me but I couldn't get angry, I cheated on her more and I would feel bad for the rest of my life. I led her inside and we walked up to my room. "Where are your parents?" She asked normally like nothing we've both done ever happened.

"They've been in with friends in Florida so I have the house to myself for a while," I said truthfully as we sat on my bed. Sitting on this bed made me feel like she was going to sit down and say that she knows Flora had been here.

I felt a little bad for not telling Gabriella that my parents weren't home but I couldn't exactly ask her mom, with everything that's going on in their family.

We laid on the bed, with her in my arms and it felt like summer when we used to just sit here and watch something together. However, that also led to what was currently happening right now.

Gabby was straddled over me, and kissing me with more intensity than she had ever done before. That was when I started to believe that maybe she wouldn't care if she found out about Flora and I. She loved me too much to let us go.

Just as she started undoing the buttons holding my shirt together, she suddenly leaned off of me and picked up a strap that only just caught my eye underneath the couch.

For some reason, it didn't click until I noticed the same bra I took off someone not two days ago. "What the fuck is this?" Gabby shouted out angrily. The last thing I wanted to happen was for her to be angry with me.

"I can explain."

"Explain what?" she shouted out rhetorically before standing up with the strap still hanging off her finger. "I know this is Flora's bra," she continued but I just couldn't speak, "why the hell is Flora's bra in your room, James?" she shouted out. Her emotion showed a mix of anger and disappointment.

"After the party," I swallowed heavily before I spoke. I had hoped she would have stormed off since I didn't have to guts to tell her what ha happened. I could already see the tears that were yet to come from her eyes.

"She came back and we-," I wanted her to guess; I didn't want to have to say it. She sighed outwardly as she glared at me. "Say it James!" she was shouting so loud now and I could notice a stray tear escaping her eye.

"We had sex," I shouted to the same volume as her hand came forcefully towards my face and slapped me across my cheek.

My face ached in the same place I was punched, but that was the last thing I was thinking about. Before I could stop her, she ran out and the slamming of the front door followed after.

What have I done?