Chapter 3

Cassie

"Okay Cassie, you can do this. First day of school. Nothing to worry about," I tell myself in the mirror. I took a deep breath and grabbed my bag from my bedroom floor. First day of junior year at my new school. Nothing to be worried about, right?

I walked out of the house and drove to school. I pulled into the parking lot and let out a breath. Gathering a lot of my courage, I got out of my car and entered the school. I walked up to the front desk and the lady looked at me.

"Can I help you?" She asked in a sour tone.

"Yeah, I'm new. Could I get my schedule and locker combination?" I tried my hardest not to be rude.

"Name."

"Cassandra Blake." The woman rummaged through some drawers before handing me a yellow envelope. 

"In there you will see three pieces of paper. Your schedule, locker number/combination, and a map of the school. New students including freshmen tend to get lost. The map is to help make sure you appear in the right classroom on time. Have a nice day." I pressed my lips together and nodded, trying to keep myself from mentioning her tone.

I'm not the kind of person who expects you to always have a cheery smile and be very proper at all times, but she could have been a little nicer. Like some simple common courtesy never hurt somebody.

I found my locker and opened it up. All my textbooks were already there and I put the ones I needed in my bag. I shut my locker and turned around and jumped in shock. There, Drew Casey was standing in front of me with a smile on his face.

"Drew. Didn't think I'd see you so soon. What's up?" I asked, my tone brightening.

"I thought I'd say hi. You're new and don't know anyone so I thought I should show you to classes and stuff. Can I see your schedule?" I nodded and handed him the paper with my schedule on it. "Cool, so we have science, English, Spanish, and PE together. You're in the smart people math." I chuckled at his comment as he handed me my schedule. "Since you have math first, I'll see you second bell. Want me to show you to your first class?"

"Nah, that's fine. I have a map, but I think I can find it, thanks to your tour." He nodded. "Quick random question, has the desk lady always been a bitch?" Drew let out a laugh.

"Miss Donna. In her thirties and single. I'm going to go with a yes. Don't let her stop you from liking this school though. Trust me, we have more to offer than a mean, single front desk worker." I smiled at his humor. Just then the bell rang and I flinched.

"Not gonna lie, I might have lost my hearing in my right ear." 

"You get used to it. And I'll see you in Spanish."

"See you." I turned around and went to my math class. Okay, maybe today won't be so bad.

~~~

I sat at my desk as Mrs. Grimm began talking about our first project. It was English, and I was currently seated next to Drew. I yawned and began doodling little hearts on the margins on my paper, though they weren't very good. Drawing for me was never a specialty.

"Now class, for the project, you will be partnered up with someone. And, yes, I already chose your partners." Groans could be heard from the class, and I just continued doodling hearts. "Now the project that you will do is you and your partner will get a prompt. You will need to write an essay and make a PowerPoint explaining further on that topic. Your partners are who you are sitting next to."

I stopped doodling. Looking at Drew, I saw him with a neutral expression. When he noticed me looking, he smirked.

"Hello, partner," he whispered in my ear. I chuckled and looked down at my notebook.