Chapter 20

Brief thing: the song above I used as one of Drew's song and said it was an original. That's not true. many should know that I don't own this song. it is by Brett Young and is very good. It fit the scene and the background of why Drew had an original song. IT IS NOT MINE AND ONLY USED FOR STORY PURPOSES. I can write books, not lyrics. Continue reading

~~~~~

Cassie

"Cassie, you need to come out. It's been two days and you've only opened your door when I left food in front of it. Please just open up. We need to talk." I laid down on my bed, ignoring my dad. I felt like shit. It's been two days since Drew and I ended things. Three since I saw my mom.

My mom. Just the thought of her being back made me want to cry. Nine years and now she wants to talk? I could barely look at her that night, let alone consider forgiving her. After all she did, she really thought she deserved my forgiveness. What a joke.

"Cassie please. Your mom has been begging to see you. I can't keep ignoring her forever."

"Doesn't sound like a problem to me." I called from my position on my bed. I heard my dad sigh and then he opened the door.

"I'm done waiting for you to come out Cassie. Your friends are worried sick, I'm debating whether or not to call a therapist, and God knows how many times Drew has come over asking to see you."

What? "Drew came by?"

"Yeah, like ten times. Cassie, everyone is worried about you, especially me. Please just tell me what's going on."

"You know what is going on. Mom came back out of nowhere and Drew and I broke up. There's nothing to tell."

"Can you start with what is really going on? I know you, Cassie. There's something else."

"I just don't get it! Why now?! Of all the times mom had to come back into our lives why did it have to be now?" Tears were coming again, but I ignored them. "I finally built myself a good life. I had friends, a boyfriend, a job, and a place I actually considered my home. And mom comes in ruining everything!" I take a pause. "And here you are. Fine as can be, worried about his daughter." My dad started to speak, but I cut him off. "I keep going over it in my head about why you defended her. Why her presence didn't phase you."

"Cassie-"

"Did you know? Did you know she was coming?" I looked at my dad who was struggling to form an answer. Finally he did.

"Yes. I knew."

On any other day, I would be screaming at him. Screaming about why he didn't tell me and why he thought that lying and hiding things from me would be a good idea. But it wasn't just any other day. I had no energy to scream or yell. I just wanted answers. "Why'd you lie? Why didn't you just tell me?"

My dad sighed and looked at his feet. "I didn't think I could. Any time your mother was mentioned, you cried."

I nodded. "How long were you talking to her?"

"Ever since I bought the house. Your mom was trying to buy the house and when she saw that I got it, she wrote me a letter. She didn't have my number, but a quick search found my work address."

The more he explained, the easier it was to connect the dots. "That's why you were going through the mail. You were looking for her next letter and didn't want me to see it."

"I'm sorry Cassie. I know it hurt you to see her, but I didn't know how to tell you."

"I know. I know you're trying. And maybe I should start trying to. I keep asking you to be better but I don't even try to help or make things easier on you."