Chapter 1

Cassie

Ten minutes. Ten minutes until I was done with this school. Ten minutes until it would be summer. My eyes were focused on the clock above my algebra teacher, Mrs. Jackson. Ten minutes, and I would never have to see her wrinkled face ever again. Ten minutes, and I would never have to hear her sour voice squeaking on about life or math. Ten minutes until I went home to my house with nothing in it except for my suitcases. Ten minutes, and I would be adventuring on a five-hour drive to my new home.

I was moving. Again. Now a lot of people might like moving because they get to live in a new home with a new neighborhood and meet new people. However, I'm not like that. My dad was a financial analyst and he ended up switching companies a lot or the company he worked for was bought by a larger one. Either way, we were moving constantly, and I hated it.

I looked back at the clock after staring at the birds flying around. Five minutes. How time moved incredibly slowly when you wanted it to go fast but was the opposite when you wanted it to last longer was beyond me. All I knew was that I wanted to leave this school. Desperately.

"So kids, you must understand the significance of this summer. It is the summer before you all become upperclassmen. You will be leaving in a few minutes, but I believe a classmate of yours has an announcement. Miss Blake?" I stood up from my seat, facing my peers.

"I won't be attending school with you people next year. I will be moving to North Carolina. Please, don't write." Everyone chuckled at that.

"Why are you moving again?" A random boy asked, one I had never talked to.

"My dad is switching to a bigger company."

"What town are you going to?"

"Silver Springs."

"Well Miss Blake, we hope you enjoyed your junior year with us. Please have a wonderful senior year in Silver Springs, North Carolina." I nodded and sat back down. I looked at the clock. One minute. Mrs. Jackson began talking about summer work and I focused my attention on the window. Birds were chirping and flying around. I saw the parents waiting outside, anxiously awaiting their kid to come out of the building. Then the bell rang.

I bolted out of my seat and sped walked to the exit. Kids around me did the same, and I busted out of the school. Parents looked up to see who it was as kids began streaming out of the doors. I walked to my car and got in. A lot of my stuff was already in the trunk and backseat. I just needed a few more things. I quickly drove home and soon I was greeted by my deserted-looking house.

I got out of my car and walked inside. My dad was grabbing our suitcases and bringing them to the door. He also had a box of wine and his briefcase. I coughed to announce my arrival, and he looked at me in surprise.

"Cassie! There you are. How was your last day?" His voice had a happy tone to it.

"Incredibly boring. We leaving?" My dad nodded and shoved my suitcase towards me.

"Load that up. I'll get this stuff, and then we're off." I nodded and went to place my suitcase in my car. My dad did the same with his stuff and locked the door of our old house. "Everything is good to go. Our stuff is already there and the moving van has been unloaded. They had the code to the garage and put everything there. We will change it when we get there. Let's hit the road!"

"Five hours of driving, here we come." I got in my car and backed out of the driveway. I let my dad in front of me so I could follow him, but I also had the directions on my phone in case I lost track of him. He started driving, and I put my foot on the gas.