Chapter 16

Cassie

"Cassie, hurry up! Dinner!" Alyssa yelled, banging on the bathroom door. I stepped out in my pajamas that consisted of a crop shirt and comfortable shorts. "Finally. I suggest a sweatshirt. My room may be hot as shit, but downstairs gets cold." I slipped on a sweatshirt that used to be my dad's and followed her out the door.

We reached the table, and I saw a giant setup of food. There was a turkey, Caesar salads, and stuffing. The scene reminded me of the meal I would be having should I be at home which would have just been leftovers.

"Damn, you guys really go all out."

"Wait for the 4th of July. We grill practically the whole grocery store." Drew said as he carried a large bowl of mac 'n' cheese.

"Can't wait to see that."

"Okay, everyone go a sit!" A woman said, coming in with bread. I realize it was Jamie, Drew and Alyssa's stepmom. Alyssa rolled her eyes slightly, but sat with excitement and reached for the mac 'n' cheese.

"Alyssa wait for everyone." Her dad scolded, making her glare at him. Once everyone was seated, Alyssa immediately filled her plate with food, causing me to laugh.

"Trust me, you wanna pile up. It's so good and and by the time you want seconds, it's all gone." She said. I got myself some food and began eating when their dad looked at me.

"So Drew tells me your dad works a lot. What does he do for work?"

"He's a financial analyst. Not exactly sure what he does, all I know is we move a lot for his job." I responded, before taking another bit of turkey.

"Where have you lived?" Jamie asked me.

"Way too many states. I lived in California, Texas, Virginia, New Jersey, and Tennessee. I was born in California."

"Well that's a ways away. What does your mom do with the moving situation?" Drew and Alyssa sucked in a breath.

I struggled to formulate a response and Drew reached for my hand under the table. I looked up at him before turning back to his stepmom. "She-she left when I was eight. The moving was really hard on her. She wanted to be a teacher but the moving constantly cause that to be sort of impossible. So she packed up her things and left.

"Oh darling. I'm so sorry. Do you mind me asking if you know where she went or is?"

"Jamie..." Alyssa started.

"No it's fine. I don't know where she went. The only contact we ever got was the divorce papers two weeks after she left. She signed over all her rights to me and my dad didn't need child support. So there were no court meetings. We never heard from her again. I hope she got her teaching job though. I mean she left, I at least hope if was to follow her dream of teaching."

"Have you ever thought to see her out?" Drew's dad asked.

"No. I never really want to see her again. She walked out. No reason to find someone who just runs away from you. Plus I have no idea where I'd start looking. There's probably plenty of women named Ellie Blake. And who knows if she got married again."

"It's good that you're mature about her leaving."

"I wasn't for a long time. For awhile I hated her for it. I still do sometimes."

"Anyone would be. Has your dad ever tried dating?" Jamie asked me.

I laughed at this. "No." I said. "He's never been interested. He gets really busy with work and after my mom, it hurt him a lot so part of me thinks he scared to try dating again. And I don't mind it. It's nice with it just us. If he did try, I would support him."