Chapter 18

Cassie

"Cassie! Open up! We're here!" I ran downstairs and yanked open the door to see Alyssa and Elizabeth standing there expectantly.

"Hey. Come in. What are you doing here?" I asked as I moved aside so they could enter.

"Do we need a reason to visit our best friend?" Alyssa asked.

"Yes." The two glared at me and then went straight to my pantry. "We are out of goldfish."

"How can you be out of goldfish? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

"It's called eating them. That's how."

"Would you stop being technical for one moment. Now I need to find another snack."

I shook my head and went back to the book I was reading at the counter. Just as I say, Alyssa plucked the book from my grip and shut it. "Hey!"

"No reading. We are talking."

I sucked in a breath. Did they know? Is that why they came?

"It's about this upcoming weekend after school starts up again." Elizabeth explained and I let out the breath I'd been holding. They didn't know. Shit now I have to tell them.

"We need to figure out what we are doing. First weekend back we need to do something fun. You know, to help the fact that we are no back in school."

"Okay. What are we thinking?" I asked.

Elizabeth and Alyssa then launched into what I think was strangest debate I've ever seen. Alyssa and Elizabeth went through the pros and cons of all the activities we could do. They cancelled out the mall as that was an any weekend kind of activity, all swimming options were eliminated due to weather, and so on down the list.

I sat there, unsure of when and where I should add in any input. I could feel the nerves about telling them about Drew and I's kiss piling up. I knew I needed to tell them. They were my best friends and it would come out sooner or later.

Without thinking I blurted out, "Drew and I kissed." Silence followed. Elizabeth's mouth dropped to the counter and Alyssa stopped moving. They both stared at me in utter shock, not able to say anything. "It was at the party. Right at midnight. With the fireworks." They still didn't speak. "Okay you have to say something before I keep rambling."

"JOHN OWES ME TWENTY BUCKS!! YES!" Alyssa screamed, and I feel out of my chair at the volume.

"I said say something, not scream and blow out my ear drums!" I yelled at her.

"I can't believe it! You and Drew kissed!" Elizabeth ran up and hugged me, squeezing all my air out.

"Okay. Hug over. Can't breathe." Elizabeth released me but a huge smile was still plastered on her face.

"You have some explaining to do, I hope you know that. I'm getting popcorn!" She ran for the pantry and Alyssa was looking at me with a wide smirk.

"Why do you need popcorn?"

"Cause I've been waiting for this day. Do not ruin my fun."