Chapter 8

Cassie 

I was sitting at the counter reading a new book I had picked up, when I heard the front door open. I turned around and saw my dad walking in with the mail in hand. He got let off early He was going through it, concentrated like he was looking for something specific. 

"Uh...dad?" His head snapped up. 

"Yeah?" 

"Watcha lookin for?" 

"Oh, nothing." I raised my brows. "Nothing, Cassie. Just going through bills and junk mail. Nothing of interest." It was a lie, and we both knew that, but I didn't push it. "So what are your plans for the day?"

I shrugged. "Nothing much. I finished my homework, Elizabeth and John are hanging out, and Alyssa is doing her homework today." 

"What about Drew?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"You never said he was busy. You could hang out with him." 

"Oh, yeah. I guess I could." In truth, I was avoiding Drew. I didn't wan him finding out about my mom, but I hated lying to him.

"Go text and ask him." 

"Aren't dads supposed to keep their daughters from seeing boy, not encouraging interaction?"

My dad gave me look. "You're changing the subject." 

"I'm merely stating my concerns."

"Cassandra." 

"I'll text him later. I just...really want to finish my book." 

"That's not it. You're lying to me. Cassie what's going on?" 

I stayed quiet for a second. "Nothing." 

"I don't want to keep asking. Something's bothering you. Is Drew hurting you?" 

"It's not that. It's...he keeps asking about mom. He noticed I tensed when my mom is mentioned." My dad sighed. "I don't want him to find out." 

"Why? Do you think he's going to judge you?" 

"Well, maybe. I don't know. It isn't exactly something I want people knowing. I don't want to be the girl whose mom left her." 

"Cassie your mom left, yes, but it wasn't because she didn't love you." 

"I know that, but other people don't." My rubbed his chin before bending to look me in the eye. 

"I'm not saying to go shout to the world that your mother isn't here. What I'm saying is that if Drew starts to figure out and asks, don't lie anymore. I can see what it's doing to you. You're avoiding him so you don't have to lie. Promise me that if he asks, you won't lie." 

"Dad..." 

"Promise me. You never know, maybe Drew could help you. I see the way you look at other moms. You're hurting. There's no shame in that." I took a sharp breath in and looked at my dead. 

"I can't promise that. And I'm fine. Yeah, my mom's gone, but I survived. So did you. I don't need any help to realize I'm better off without her." 

"You really believe that?" The way my dad asked me that gave me a pause. He wasn't questioning me like he didn't believe I didn't need her. He was genuinely asking, like he needed to be sure for something. 

"I do. She left, end of story. No one needs to know about it." I started my way upstairs, but my dad called after me. 

"You may want to get dressed." I turned. He held up my phone I left on the counter. "Drew texted." He set it down and walked out. I stormed to my phone and looked at the text.